Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct3D 9 Support Released For Linux Via Gallium3D, Running Games

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    After using Linux for about 4-5 year now I still don't fully understand how graphics stack actually work and what's up with Gallium, Mesa, KMS, DRI und DDX drivers etc.
    The foontnotes :
    KMS - Kernel ModeSetting = the way the correct resolution is set up for specific screens. (when you change resolution, this handles it at hardware level)
    Mesa - the (only) OSS implementation of OpenGL.
    Gallium - a sort of layer between graphic cards and a graphics API. The graphic driver only has to 'support' gallium3D.
    DRI - how software communicates with the hardware.

But do read the links posted by chithanh.

A comparison between open source AMD and catalyst might be interesting. Their open source drivers aren't that slow to begin with. They might beat the blob, when performance doubles.
    It's on its way. Michael gave us a useless preview. and BTW : nothing is stopping you from installing PTS and benchmarking yourself

D3D9 for Gallium sounds really nice. Knowing the number of awesome games based on it, losing them would be a huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Frett View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's on it's death-bed. They're lots of D3D9 Games that people could play, remember even win98 has DX9 support. That's a lot of Games for people to play, fun games, unlike most redundant cash-grab garbage today.
    Win98 only supports DirectX 8.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Win98 only supports DirectX 8.1.
    It does indeed support DirectX 9.0c:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downl....aspx?id=34429

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Frett View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's on it's death-bed. They're lots of D3D9 Games that people could play, remember even win98 has DX9 support. That's a lot of Games for people to play, fun games, unlike most redundant cash-grab garbage today.
    Majority of games right now support a minimum of DX9 level graphics. Any games being made in the future I hope will have Linux support. Would like to see how Gabe Newell's Steam Box might change developers minds to start supporting Linux.

Right now a lot of people, including myself, don't use Linux because too many games run piss slow. I have a Linux machine sitting on the side, to see how the Linux world is doing. A 100% speed up of DX9 games would certainly make me want to install Linux as a primary OS on my PC. I personally couldn't care about DX10/DX11 at the moment.

Default DX9 for proprietary drivers

Is there patent problems about DirectX ?

If not, and as most of the proprietary driver code is shared between operating systems, Nvidia and AMD just need to "enable it" for Linux builds ?

If the patch gets accepted by Wine and Mesa, and people begin to use it, it might be worth it for NVidia to enable it in their binary blob.

Quote Originally Posted by Congelli501 View Post

If not, and as most of the proprietary driver code is shared between operating systems, Nvidia and AMD just need to "enable it" for Linux builds ?
    Direct3D is not shipped by GPU manufacturers but by Microsoft. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#Compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by Congelli501 View Post

If the patch gets accepted by Wine and Mesa, and people begin to use it, it might be worth it for NVidia to enable it in their binary blob.
    Don't confuse Direct3D with DirectX. DirectX is much more.

DirectX 11 actually sounds more like it is something for Linux.

Is a great year to be using open source drivers, a great year indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    It does indeed support DirectX 9.0c:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downl....aspx?id=34429
    I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    So this is limited to Nouveau / open Radeon only? I'd rather see DX11 support added to Wine. There are new games coming with DX11 requirement which won't be usable with Wine. For example Witcher 3 (and it's not clear whether they'll ever release an OpenGL/Linux version).
    They may well release some kind of OpenGL version for Mac OSX, afterall The Witcher 2 came with a Mac version, but they will NOT release a Linux version because they can't get it to run on the Raspberry Pi. Where did you read about The Witcher 3 not support DX versions earlier than DX11?
    Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 07-17-2013 at 08:59 AM.