Thread: Radeon Power Management Gets More Fixes For 3.11

Hybrid View

Default Radeon Power Management Gets More Fixes For 3.11

Phoronix: Radeon Power Management Gets More Fixes For 3.11

Just days after the first release candidate of the Linux 3.11 kernel, additional user testing of the new Radeon dynamic power management support has revealed more bugs in the open-source driver. Fortunately, there's already another pull request for Linux 3.11 to take care of some more Radeon "DPM" issues...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxMzM

Thanks to Alex Deucher for his great work, finally DPM is working correctly on my HD6870.

Does this fix the HD6850 brokenness? I've grown tired of testing every push to Alex's repo in the hope that it does...

Quote Originally Posted by cmr~ View Post
    Does this fix the HD6850 brokenness? I've grown tired of testing every push to Alex's repo in the hope that it does...
    It's been working fine depending on what compiler you are using. gcc 4.8 seems to produce broken code for one of the functions in the driver. It's fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    It's been working fine depending on what compiler you are using. gcc 4.8 seems to produce broken code for one of the functions in the driver. It's fixed now.
    GCC got fixed (ergo you need to wait for a GCC point release / compile GCC yourself) or you worked around whatever the issue with GCC is, within the function (ergo you need need to just compile your latest branch)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    GCC got fixed (ergo you need to wait for a GCC point release / compile GCC yourself) or you worked around whatever the issue with GCC is, within the function (ergo you need need to just compile your latest branch)?
    From reading the dri-devel list messages, it looks like they worked around the GCC breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Yup, works great now! I was indeed using gcc 4.8. Thanks bunches.

I am not that excited (with the DPM) about recent AMD GPUs as long as they have the FGLRX option for modern performance and power management.

But it is FANTASTIC for owners with Radeon 4000 Series and below with the abandoned support from AMD proprietary drivers.

Laptops with such GPUs suffered from heat and power management and especially for laptops and mobile devices power management is the most important.

Also I would like to see the performance impact (if any) on older hardware. I have a Multimedia PC on my TV with old hardware (Radeon 2600PRO 512) and now with Steam i would like to be able to play the L4D2 or TF2 on low settings.

I've grown tired of testing every push to Alex's repo in the hope that it does...