Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79

Thread: Finally, Team Fortress 2 Benchmarks For Phoronix!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I agree it's not a great benchmark, but it's about 100 times better than anything else Michael has ever run.

    I agree with Kivada - screw automated benchmarking if it means we don't get any good benchmarks. Prioritize what's actually important.

    Actually, i suspect that is what michael has done, and these unspecified 3rd party companies that are paying him to develop PTS care about that, while phoronix readers get ignored because we aren't funding him.
    100 times better? Isn't Xonotic demanding enough for you? Stop hating games just because they're FOSS.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    If you're trying to quote the article, at least remove the misleading quote ID, or better yet, quote the first post in the thread. Otherwise it looks as if you're misquoting.

    Also, the size is an issue. For those who don't have it installed, it would be a hell to download the whole thing just to run a benchmark. When doing a cross-distro test, even more so. It's not even that good of a benchmark, too, as TF2 is already quite outdated.
    How is it misleading? Larabel wrote and posted the article, the Phoronix news bot didn't.

    And no, you only have to download it once and HDD space is stupid cheap. Furthermore you can move the Steam folder to any other distro just fine, even better, just keep your /home directory on it's own partition or another drive, meaning that you can move installs without having to restore your stuff from backups. At most all you need to do is run the "Verify Local Game Cache" test on the game installs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    100 times better? Isn't Xonotic demanding enough for you? Stop hating games just because they're FOSS.
    It's a poorly optimized and laid out extension of Quake3 being stretched far beyond where it should have dropped in favor of a newer engine. This is the problem with all of the OSS shooter benchmarks.

    Compare Xonotic to the HL2:Lost Coast benchmark or any of the recent Valve benchmarks. If you aren't testing several different engines you aren't getting a feel for what the GPU drivers are good at.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    319.32 is a Linux only driver. :P Are you referring to latest Windows 7 WHQL 320.49 maybe?
    lol sorry. Yes 320.49 is my Win driver.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    It's a poorly optimized and laid out extension of Quake3 being stretched far beyond where it should have dropped in favor of a newer engine. This is the problem with all of the OSS shooter benchmarks.

    Compare Xonotic to the HL2:Lost Coast benchmark or any of the recent Valve benchmarks. If you aren't testing several different engines you aren't getting a feel for what the GPU drivers are good at.
    Can back it up with facts or links?

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    Can back it up with facts or links?
    Run both with maxed out detail settings with 4xAA & 16xAF. HL2:LC looks much better, has more going on and isn't built on the ancient IdTech engine like every OSS shooter that isn't Cube or Saurbraten. For everything else, look it up your own damn self.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Run both with maxed out detail settings with 4xAA & 16xAF. HL2:LC looks much better, has more going on and isn't built on the ancient IdTech engine like every OSS shooter that isn't Cube or Saurbraten. For everything else, look it up your own damn self.
    Even FUD from elanthis has much better information value than this. Actually his statements contain a lot of salvageable info.
    Since you claim to be knowledgeable about the topic i naively assumed that you can back it with something not just with OOH Half-Life Tech Demo haz betterz texturez

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    100 times better? Isn't Xonotic demanding enough for you? Stop hating games just because they're FOSS.
    It has nothing to do with FOSS.

    Count how many people play TF2, and count how many people play Xanotic. 100 times was probably conservative.

    It's also based off a semi-modern game engine rather than quake 3, so it's likely far more representative of other games people are playing, too.

    Unigine tests are hard on the gpu, but they still suck as GPU tests because no real games use that engine. It's only semi-decent because it's one of the only tough tests michael runs that stresses the hardware. Xanotic is somewhere in between - some people are actually using the engine, and it's somewhat stressful, but still mostly sucks on both accounts.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 07-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    148

    Default

    big, Big, props for the work!

    Now we're only missing frame latencies (micro stutter and the like) and PTS would be truly feature complete.

    Edit: I was too quick to judge: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQxNDI

    Michael, I salute you. Two articles in one day, I don't know which is better news
    Last edited by tomato; 07-18-2013 at 07:38 PM.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    Even FUD from elanthis has much better information value than this. Actually his statements contain a lot of salvageable info.
    Since you claim to be knowledgeable about the topic i naively assumed that you can back it with something not just with OOH Half-Life Tech Demo haz betterz texturez
    So you think that the OSS games currently use for benchmarking look as good as professional class games that have sold in the millions? So you think a poorly doctored up original Quake engine can compete with what Valve did years ago now.

    Theres a reason nobody outside of Linus and BSD users has ever given a shit about the OSS games even though they are free, they instead flock to freeware or paid games, they are not and have not ever been good and the only people that played them save for the captive community of Linux and BSD users who basically had no other choice.

    So again, look it up yourself.


  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Yep, you gotta add in the Xorg Edgers PPA if you want to have the current Gallium3D or Catalyst drivers.

    TF2 will run on my junked parts box with an 8800TS 320mb and an Athlon64 3500+ Clawhammer, what holds it back is the DDR266 which makes load times stupid long for some reason as I read that this is a known issue.
    Xorg Edgers PPA does not compile mesa/gallium3d with GLAMOR/s3tc so no radeonsi. It only carries fglrx which is completely broken beyond all repair on radeonsi. Oibaf PPA carries updated stuff but it's also broken on radeonsi and source games cannot be launched without crashing or spewing a ton of errors due to missing files/packages (and even if you manage to figure out all the files you need, it still explodes as soon as you launch a map). There is another ppa which has glamor drivers for radeonsi without bleeding edge stuff, but it doesn't have s3tc texture support so no source games.

    In the end, people with HD 7xxx cards like myself are stuck until something is done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •