Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.11 Gets Memory Usage Improvements

Hybrid View

Default KDE 4.11 Gets Memory Usage Improvements

Phoronix: KDE 4.11 Gets Memory Usage Improvements

Thanks in part to a computer hardware retailer being closed, KDE 4.11 (and KDE 4.12) will offer improved system memory usage...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxNDA

Default Interesting ...

... I'm not sure what it says about the process that the developer's first instinct was to throw money, (in the form of new hardware), at the problem.

Default Nepomuk The Hog

I tried KDE almost two years ago and Nepomuk seemed excrutiatingly slow on an i-5 Sandy Bridge notebook. Thumbs up if it ever gets any better. Oh, wait, this was about memory usage only. But still, hooray to whoever tames the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by eltomito View Post
    I tried KDE almost two years ago and Nepomuk seemed excrutiatingly slow on an i-5 Sandy Bridge notebook. Thumbs up if it ever gets any better. Oh, wait, this was about memory usage only. But still, hooray to whoever tames the beast.
    You're working on outdated information if you only used it two years ago. In the last year alone Nepomuk has been gutted and basically rewritten from scratch into a much simpler indexer. Try 4.11 when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by eltomito View Post
    2 years ago means KDE 4.7. Yes, Nepomuk is somewhere between 20 and 30x faster than 2 years ago.

Anyone knows if the microblog plasmoid is fixed? (Twitter won't work).

Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    Anyone knows if the microblog plasmoid is fixed? (Twitter won't work).
    Once someone ports the Choqok fix to the Plasmoid.

KDE is the slowest UI in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    KDE is the slowest UI in my opinion.
    Only if you're hitting driver bugs or something like that... Seriously KDE can be so cut down and minimalized that you can run it on just about anything... the only thing i've ever had problems with it on was Nvidia hardware with Nouveau under an old Ubuntu install.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Only if you're hitting driver bugs or something like that... Seriously KDE can be so cut down and minimalized that you can run it on just about anything...
    No, it's because many KDE programs are not "pure qt" programs, but interact with kde services and stuff AND they have a lot of features so they start slowly.

Dolphin is a good example. It has gotten much better (I'm using 4.11 rc), but it's still noticeable. Go to a terminal, type
    Code:
    dolphin & thunar
    press enter and tell me what you see (do it twice so both have their libraries cached). Yes, dolphin has many more features, but when using kde you'll notice that a lot of the default programs are "heavier". Now try the same with
    Code:
    kate & mousepad
    . It also doesn't win against gedit. Geany is a bit quicker too. gwenview vs. eog. okular vs. evince. Just try it.