Canonical Posts 15 Mesa Patches To Support Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    When you have percentages spread in chunks like 32%, a bunch of discreet 10% blocks and a handful of 5%, 3%, etc etc chunks the 32% is going to be the largest single contiguous slice in the pie and is hence the 'majority', even if it's not >50%.
    Again, basic mathematics, anything under 50% cannot, by definition, be a majority. By the wikimedia numbers you're referencing, the majority of Linux users use something other than Ubuntu. Yes, they have a large block of users, probably even the largest single block, but it is not even close to a majority of Linux users.

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    The majority of Steam gamers are on Nvidia hardware no matter how much you want to deny this. No self-respecting gamer will allow himself/herself to be crippled with Intel graphics that cannot support 16xMSAA, PhyX and 1080p resolution at an average of >60fps.
    And where did I try to deny it? You are deliberately misinterpreting my post. The point is that that survey does not accurately represent the computer ecosystem, just a very specially selected slice of it.

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
    Well, you can hardly deny the evidence I've brought in here - otherweise you're implying they're fake. I'm aware, that having evidence is something differen than havin a water-solid proof (I explicitly said this).
    I'm not denying it, only saying that your own numbers don't support your assertion.

The survey accounts for gamers, and the market share of NVidia among these people is stronger than among non-gamers. These stats are anything but meaningless. You might argue, that the survey only indicates, that Ubuntu is strong amon Linux gamers, not among Linux users in general - if you want to
    The numbers in that survey are meaningless in the context of this conversation. They don't even really show that Ubuntu is strong among Linux gamers, just that Ubuntu is strong among Steam users. Since Steam is specifically targeting Ubuntu, that's to be expected.

I still wonder, how I'm completely false. I explained, how all this is just evidence, not proof, but that doesn't make the numbers false. You also just explained, how these numbers aren't absolute, but not why they should be false.
    If you really believe that the majority of Linux uses use Ubuntu, then yes, you are wrong. The Steam numbers are useless in determining this and the wikimedia numbers don't back up the claim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      Ubuntu takes up almost 40% of Linux-based systems in Wikimedia. If that's not the majority for both users and distributions then I don't know what is.
      that can be Server's hitting up Wikimedia Remember Ubuntu has a Wikipedia Lens for Unity it also has Amazon Ads Pre-Installed so go pull some Amazon

Breakdown per platform for Mac and Linux
      Mac Intel 14,659 M 6.55%
      Linux Android 13,782 M 6.16%
      Linux Other 2,393 M 1.07%
      Linux Ubuntu 1,161 M 0.52%
      Mac PowerPC 142 M 0.06%
      Linux Fedora 18.1 M 0.01%
      Linux SUSE 13.3 M 0.01%
      Linux Mint 11.9 M 0.01%
      Linux Debian 7.5 M 0.00%
      Linux Mandriva 6.7 M 0.00%
      Linux Red Hat 3 M 0.00%
      Linux CentOS 2.6 M 0.00%
      Linux Kubuntu 2 M 0.00%
      Linux Mips 1.6 M 0.00%
      Linux Epiphany 1.3 M 0.00%
      Linux Gentoo 716 k 0.00%
      Linux Arch 421 k 0.00%
      Linux Oracle 233 k 0.00%
      Linux PCLinuxOS 175 k 0.00%
      Linux Motor 98 k 0.00%
      Linux Slackware 58 k 0.00%
      Linux Xubuntu 30 k 0.00%
      Linux openSUSE 30 k 0.00%

Looks like Android Wins damn look at that majority

Warning: all recent Wikimedia traffic analysis reports have been generated from old scripts.
      The scripts are orphaned, and have not been maintained for at least 6 months. Many bugs are considerably older.

ohh wait it also shows Linux has over taken Mac

Operating System Requests Percentage
      Windows 125,520 M 56.10%
      iPhone 34,753 M 15.53%
      iPad 19,598 M 8.76%
      Linux 17,403 M 7.78%
      Mac 14,802 M 6.62%
      BlackBerry 998 M 0.45%
      SymbianOS 144 M 0.06%
      FreeBSD 34.4 M 0.02%
      DoCoMo 22.4 M 0.01%
      SunOS 6 M 0.00%
      OpenBSD 1.1 M 0.00%
      Total 223,725 M 100%

Poor OpenBSD even Sun OS Pwns you

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
        Canonical is a shady company that shouldn't be trusted, by the larger community.
        To me that sounds like a reason to put some pressure upon them and control (as far as possible) what they're doing (in the sense of having an eye upon them) - that's what I meant by "taming".

Originally posted by ninez View Post
        If Ubuntu disappeared tomorrow, it's not like everyone else would just stop what they are doing...
        No, but what e.g. Valve do? Or all the other devs (outside the Linux world) targeting Ubuntu right now?

Originally posted by ninez View Post
        On the one hand, sure. But integrating Canonical's bunk tech, is not the way to have them more integrated and surely leads to exactly what you said you don't want (MS/Apple/Canonical)... Most projects have already taken the public stance that they will not support Mir ~ Canonical is choosing to not be integrated, by rejecting Wayland (on zero technical merit) and rolling their own solution... It's not the communities fault that Canonical/Ubuntu are doing this <nor do they have a say in it>, nor should they be the one's to clean up this mess (by being pushovers / integrating ubuntu-specific crap).
        That's not what I meant with integrating - I wasn't referring to (only) technical details, but to get them in-line in general.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post

Can you tell me if your card uses RadeonSI driver? That might explain why it breaks for you but doesn't for me.
          i told some one that my AMD Card was a Radeon HD 6950

the Driver's was Changed in the HD 6000's but any ways the card's Tech is like 3 or 4 years old we had Linux Drivers for a really long time

if you cant use a card new as mine On Xmir what's the Point of Releasing it on Ubuntu 13.10 that's only weeks away the Catalyst run's Fine on my card using Xorg i can Max out any Linux Game so far i play at over 100 FPS on Max Setting's the card Lol's at TF2 L4D2 Even BF3 is @40+ most of the time on Windows 7 in 64 player maps (holpping we get a BF4 port to Linux )

it's just like this one
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            i told some one that my AMD Card was a Radeon HD 6950

the Driver's was Changed in the HD 6000's but any ways the card's Tech is like 3 or 4 years old we had Linux Drivers for a really long time

if you cant use a card new as mine On Xmir what's the Point of Releasing it on Ubuntu 13.10 that's only weeks away the Catalyst run's Fine on my card using Xorg i can Max out any Linux Game so far i play at over 100 FPS on Max Setting's the card Lol's at TF2 L4D2 Even BF3 is @40+ most of the time on Windows 7 in 64 player maps (holpping we get a BF4 port to Linux )

it's just like this one
            http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nhd_6950&num=1
            None, but I say that almost three times a thread. XMir for running desktops is a stupid decision, and the fact they didn't put it on the default repos for the alpha is another one, since this means XMir will receive less testing than it could before the release. I just wanted to know where the divergence between your testing and mine came from.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexThunder View Post

No, but what e.g. Valve do? Or all the other devs (outside the Linux world) targeting Ubuntu right now?
              Ubuntu was a Tech Demo for Valve

"Linux (not Ubuntu)
              The Linux conversion is ready for primetime so we are opening it up to more people and releasing it officially on Steam. This will let us get feedback on more builds and distros."

can you tell me why they want more feedback on more builds and distros? if they only support Ubuntu? it did not say feedback on Ubuntu only or Ubuntu at all

Comment

• I also kind of hope they'll reject it. I mean, why should mesa bother with these patches? They serve only Ubuntu and for everybody else they are a burden. Canonical should at least be so fair to hire some developer and pay him/her to take care of these patches within the mesa tree.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  None, but I say that almost three times a thread. XMir for running desktops is a stupid decision, and the fact they didn't put it on the default repos for the alpha is another one, since this means XMir will receive less testing than it could before the release. I just wanted to know where the divergence between your testing and mine came from.
                  what Testing it was Dead for me

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    what Testing it was Dead for me
                    Figuring it was dead is kind of testing it :P

Comment

• Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                      What things? Wayland is the future, canonical can suck u know what.
                      It would lead to canonical's mesa packages diverging more and more from upstream, potentially introducing issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X