Thread: Samsung Ramps Up Linux Hiring, Development Efforts

Default Samsung Ramps Up Linux Hiring, Development Efforts

Phoronix: Samsung Ramps Up Linux Hiring, Development Efforts

Samsung Electronics has dramatically ramped up their Linux hiring and development efforts in the past three years and they are still on track for hiring another 20,000 Linux and open-source developers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxNjg

What is Nokia doing in LINUX kernel development?

Thought they products either do not use Linux-or-similar (networking), or stick to competitors (mobile)...

This 20k number seems wrong…

Quote Originally Posted by stqn View Post
    This 20k number seems wrong…
    Yeah that seems impossible.

Maybe 200.

Accuracy Benchmark Average: Phoronix - 20,000

Well, one can only hope that this leads to an improvement in the quality of the code they release, which up to now, has been horse shit. Ok fertilizer, but no good for feeding your horses.

While I think 20K is very unlikely, even 2K or 200 would be an excellent addition to linux development. 20K I think would actually hinder development - there is such thing as too many developers.

Default Mesa

I hope they do some Mesa work too.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    While I think 20K is very unlikely, even 2K or 200 would be an excellent addition to linux development. 20K I think would actually hinder development - there is such thing as too many developers.
    Sigh. The editor got the whole thing wrong, and no one bothered to read the linked article. Can't blame you guys, it's pretty hard usually to see where the info comes from. I wish Phoronix would link the source at the bottom of the article.

Samsung CURRENTLY HIRES (as in, currently has on its payroll) 20.000 linux-related devs (probably anything to do from Android overlay they write, all the way to the drivers on the kernel). Who knows, they may even be counting devs on their internal systems as long as they run on linux or something.