Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical Goes To Crowd-Funding For Ubuntu Edge Phone

All of us are using openmoko phones anyways. Amirite?

So thats how they want to fund Mir development

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Vaporware. Like all their other "product announcements".
    Probably funding issue. Investors weren't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    Probably funding issue. Investors weren't interested.

Maybe mobile carriers want some assurance that there is a market for ubuntu phones

It's not the mobile carriers who invest in such hardware usually. At least that's what Jolla found I think (various private investors). Canonical didn't manage I guess.

Did Steve Ballmer just walking into Canonical as a project manager?

With crowd funding they could easily get 32 million but regarding the phone's actual cost, they are pricing themselves out of the water. Yeah it's a development phone but it's not as if the API's/SDK are closed shop.

Consider Google's coming MotoX which maybe priced $299-$399. Do a google for the rumoured specs.

I think Canonical is missing the fact that their project is open-source and people will be able to go and get a cheap china brand phone with better features than the one they are purporting for $250, not $830.

If Canonical wants to raise money they should float their company onto the stock market. Issue some shares. I guarantee they would sell.
    Last edited by e8hffff; 07-22-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akincer View Post
    My only disappointment with the specs so far is the 8MP rear camera. I'd like to see that quite a bit higher.

The 4GB of RAM makes sense if you are someone planning to use this as a desktop replacement.
    Canonical is making a mistake if they are moving developers into such a rich space of memory. Coders should be squeezed so they innovate and are conservative with the memory.

By July 2014 4gb will probably be the default for high end phones, with 2gb being the mainstream. Older phones viable with 1gb.

The Camera is seriously lacking. You can get cheap individual camera with 16mp+ for $50. Most smart phones will have 12mp as the base by year end, with 16mp being the middle ground. 8mp is a shocker.

Oh my god, I did it :-)

Me too, 128 gig ssd in a phone is pretty pretty prettyyyy good