Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical Goes To Crowd-Funding For Ubuntu Edge Phone

Checked this earlier and it was at $300,000. Surprised to see it at $1.2m already. Looks like this may get funded, neat.
    Still well above what I'd ever pay for a portable device that isn't a laptop considering I have very little use for them outside of ereading and talking... something a $99 device can do pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    Checked this earlier and it was at $300,000. Surprised to see it at $1.2m already. Looks like this may get funded, neat.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Haha true. The Planetary Resources kickstarter made 500.000 the first day of their 1 million goal with the highst stretchgoal being 2 million.. They did not reach that strech goal in 30 days. Was a bit dissapointed. Some games raised 3-4 million. I thougt there are more space enthusiast out there.
    Last edited by blackout23; 07-22-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Massa View Post
    Ouya was $100, this is $600. They're hoping to get three times the money but they need half as many people to buy it to succeed.
    Your math is a little rusty I'm affraid. The Ubuntu Edge is only $600 for the first 24 hours. If the $600 were fixed it would mean that they would need close to 54,000 people backing this project that is only 10k less than Ouya which costs a 1/6th of the Ubuntu Edge. I don't think that many people are willing to spend $600 (or $830 for that matter) on a project which basically is a developer phone which can run Ubuntu.

For the record I would have no problem backing this problem if it weren't for this ridiculous goal. I can't think of sinle growdfunding project getting anything in that ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by doctoren View Post
    For the record I would have no problem backing this problem if it weren't for this ridiculous goal.
    I can't think of sinle growdfunding project getting anything in that ballpark.
    While I fully sympathize with people to "think big", this might be a symptom of presumption and delusion of grandeur.
    Well, after all we're talking about Canonical... Doesn't surprise me.

Really.

Please stop spreading this nonsense about camera megapixels

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-574...ones-unlocked/
    Last edited by Ramiliez; 07-22-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Haha true. The Planetary Resources kickstarter made 500.000 the first day of their 1 million goal with the highest stretch-goal being 2 million.. They did not reach that stretch goal in 30 days. Was a bit disappointed. Some games raised 3-4 million. I thought there are more space enthusiast out there.
    I think most of us got onto the wrong footing in that we are thinking about the developer price rather than the $20 add. What is this special status 'founder', which hasn't been defined for its benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by akincer View Post
    My only disappointment with the specs so far is the 8MP rear camera. I'd like to see that quite a bit higher.
    [...]
    the higher the resolution the more image noice in the pictures. Image noice is bad

A 100 EUR compact camera can produce better results than a 700 EUR smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
    the higher the resolution the more image noice in the pictures. Image noice is bad
    But you can still bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post

A 100 EUR compact camera can produce better results than a 700 EUR smartphone.
    I don't profess to be an expert in this area. What I do know is that my S4 13 MP camera produces noticeably better pictures than a 10MP camera I've used before. In my mind, 13 > 10 > 8 but as long as the camera produces great quality photos, I'm good.