Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73

Thread: KDE Vivaldi Tablet Finally Shipping For QA Testing

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    I was generalising on the direction of distributions and what's considered progressive and not. It's not news that PulseAudio has the same hatred from those in the 'cave' as Mir vs Wayland.
    Who are in a "cave"? If you can't make your point without childish rhetoric, you don't stand on very firm ground. The very reason PA got a bad rep was because Canonical stupidly released it with an unfinished beta version that had all kinds of problems, and, well, it's all history now... As for now, PA is inadequate for certain tasks - like if you want to use any audio software, for composing/editing music, and such, the latency in PA is simply unacceptable and you'll have to use JACK or plain ALSA instead.

    PA is fine as long as you only need to do trivial things like watch videos, or listen to music, or such, where latency doesn't matter very much. When you need low latency, it's absolutely useless.

    The fact is Wayland was endless Youtube demos of people showing flowers and shapes spin or colour changes. It took Mir's announcement months ago to get Wayland kicked into action and now we see progress.
    Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

    (Look it up in Wikipedia! Make it like a fun game of learning!)

    The fact is that Wayland has been in steady development for years, doing the groundwork for a modern display server. Just last year, it was 90% finished, and that's when Mir decided to jump off and take advantage of all that work. It's a good strategy, in a sense: hitch a ride until you're near the finish line, then jump off and sprint. At that point, Mir was announced, and then Wayland walked the extra bit to be complete, announced a stable protocol API, and things started progressing from there. It's not a coincidence, Mir just took advantage of all the hard work that looks slow to the observers, because of the lack of flashy demos, then jumped in right at the moment when the ride gets interesting. Of course it looks like the development gets faster in the end, because all the hard, slow, uninteresting bits are already done. The difference is, Wayland did those bits themselves, Mir just took advantage.

    Others criticised Mir for its choice to use Android drivers, now we see Wayland users scramble to use libhybris even though Sailfish team instigated the basic form of the library and its connection to Wayland.
    That doesn't even make sense. Weasel words (who are these others? which Wayland users "scramble"?), and it doesn't change the fact that Wayland can use Android drivers just as well as Mir, so the ability to use them is not an advantage that is unique to Mir. So that's not a good reason why Mir was needed. Jolla is using Wayland in their first phone, set to launch at the end of the year, and it will use Wayland, probably on Android drivers.

    Obviously but why then did Monk get upset when his own team forked MeeGo, they use QT, Alien Dalvik, Wayland, etc. Then we had countless Wayland fanboys screaming blue murder that Canonical was shafting the scene.
    It's because Canonical's decision affects others and is harmful to the entire community. But you don't have to listen to me, take it from Past Mark Shuttleworth, vintage of 2010:

    Quote Originally Posted by Past Mark Shuttleworth
    We considered and spoke with several proprietary options, on the basis that they might be persuaded to open source their work for a new push, and we evaluated the cost of building a new display manager, informed by the lessons learned in Wayland. We came to the conclusion that any such effort would only create a hard split in the world which wasn’t worth the cost of having done it.
    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551

    So that's the thing: having two competing display systems is harmful. Without Mir, the path would be clear: every distro could move on to Wayland, and legacy X software would still work via rootless application-specific X servers thanks to XWayland. All would be nice and simple. Anyone coming to bring their software to Linux would have it simple - develop it for Wayland, end of story. With Mir, everything just gets messy. Look at all the trouble it causes, for no benefit whatsoever.

    Well now we can only hope the proprietary driver makers (Nvidia/AMD) pick the best display manager, else Wayland or Mir will be playing catchup. Personally I want Mir chosen as I'm yet to see any 'WOW' from Wayland. It's more like a XOrg rewrite. If the guy behind Wayland has his mission complete then it may be respectable, regarding speed and anti-screen tear.
    You don't even know what you're talking about. It isn't about who has the flashiest demos on youtube, who has the most "wow". It's about technical merits, which is the best, most stable, most compatible display system. But it figures, because that's all Canonical basically is: they do PR and marketing stunts. They lie to people. And people buy it because their OS is named "ubuntu" and that means, like, peace and stuff, man, in africanese, so you know they got to be legit, right? Pass on that joint, man.

    Wayland is also far from a XOrg rewrite. If anything, Mir is closer to the structure of XOrg than Wayland. Mir is a server, like XOrg. Wayland is a protocol, that defines a way to build compositors, which can but don't have to be servers. Canonical could have built their own Wayland compositor, and have all the features they need, ones they want to do with Mir. Server side allocations, Android drivers, all of it. But they instead went the idiotic route of creating their own, incompatible system that no one else is going to use, ever, because no one else can use it. Because it's not useful to anyone else than Canonical, for reasons I already explained. So everyone else is going to use Wayland, and Canonical does their in-house thing because they decided to take a huge shit on the community.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Personally I want Mir chosen as I'm yet to see any 'WOW' from Wayland. It's more like a XOrg rewrite.
    Are you kidding? Wayland is absolutely nothing like X.org. Mir is much closer to X.org than Wayland since Mir still acts as a display server like X, the very thing we have been trying to get away from.

    Besides the developers, please explain in which ways Wayland is more like X.org than Mir.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    GM is no science fact., it's a political agenda created from Club of Rome.

    “The common enemy of humanity is man. In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill. All these dangers are caused by human intervention, and it is only through changed attitudes and behavior that they can be overcome. The real enemy then, is humanity itself." - Club of Rome 1993, 'The First Global Revolution'
    Oh my god, this is awesome! I can use this GIF twice today!



    Also, please give everyone a break with the trolling. Go get some job (I know that this can be hard for a 13y old kid, but ask your parents, maybe do the dishes or something) and then buy a trip to your nearest glacier. Also, take some old pictures of the glacier before you go. I can guarantee that even you will notice the differences...

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Because you have none. "Convergence" is a buzzword, tell me what benefit do you expect to get from having the same interface in both a 5" phone and a 22" desktop, and why every mobile OS maker should seek to emulate that? It's a stupid idea, microsoft already tried it and look how far it got them, all of a 4% market share...
    Try using your right brain lobe, or is it burnt out.

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Oh right, it's a conspiracy, and the NWO probably has their hands in it, and the Freemasons, and the number of the beast shows that Obama is the antichrist and the moon landing was fake. Gotcha.
    So you simply ignore the historical fact from a very powerful organisation.

    I don't expect much from a teen brat.

    Case closed.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s_j_newbury View Post
    Nonsense. libhybris was developed for Mer (MeeGo fork), which is the base system used by Jolla for the SailfishOS, but is also the base system for embedded Plasma Active deployments and Nemo.
    and also it run's Wayland...

  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    Not sure "number of polygons" per second is the end all be all metric to compare GPUs.. what about shaders for example?
    To me it seems that PS3 games are still visually more impressive than mobile games, but then, I don't play on mobile (or console).
    I take it you didn't read anything on the GPU tech, they are completely modern all shader based GPUs, this is why they can make use of OpenCL, because shaders are programmable. The PS3 GPU is based on the Nvidia G71/7900GTX but with fewer ROPs, it's OpenGL 2.1 class hardware. If ARM based GPUs are now capable of matching that and have modern shaders with OpenGL4/CL1.2 support then they are actually in real terms quite powerful for the amount of power they draw. But are nowhere near what modern power hungry chips can do.

    Yeah, the detail level is intentionally kept low, because of the screen size, no matter how high resolution you make the screen, things have to be a certain size or they become near impossible to accurately hit in a touch interface because your finger will never be pixel accurate like a mouse is on a full sized display.

    Many of the ARM SOC designers are jumping on board with AMD for HSA, if they can offload much of the heavy lift work to the GPU they can make their SOCs allot more powerful inside of the same power envelope. People want more video capabilities, they want to build things like Google Glass, they want to make cars with a HUD built into the windshield that can see through fog and snow etc. without having to put in a system that would draw enough power to noticeably impact fuel economy.
    Last edited by Kivada; 07-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Try using your right brain lobe, or is it burnt out.
    Oh, so you're saying - apart from the fact that you don't understand basic anatomy or neurology - that you don't actually have an answer... again? Well, colour me surprised.

    So you simply ignore the historical fact from a very powerful organisation.

    I don't expect much from a teen brat.

    Case closed.
    Oh, honey, don't be like that. I know you feel in your age that "everything sucks", or whatever it is you kids say these days... but you can still expect things from yourself. After all, you might get smarter when you grow up. Happens to many people, I hear.

    So, hey... you have this evidence somewhere that some kind of mystery organization that no one has heard of has made a worldwide conspiracy of climate change. You have evidence that all the evidence of climate change we've gathered, around the world, since the last few decades, has been faked or something, to further some agenda of some mystery organization. Can any of us see that evidence? Obviously, you should go public with this. If you have such evidence, you could be a hero, you could expose a conspiracy. Why not do it?

    You do have evidence, don't you? You're not just going by some blog written in comic sans, right? Come on, show us all wrong. Boy, won't we feel stupid when you show us all the evidence you have, that'll shut us up.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    658

    Default

    wow, global warming denying and new world order...
    That's an impressive new low.

    But who needs facts anyway?

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Try using your right brain lobe, or is it burnt out.

    So you simply ignore the historical fact from a very powerful organisation.

    I don't expect much from a teen brat.

    Case closed.
    I have your proof right here!

    http://s8.postimg.org/hwrlxajr9/tumblr_lqm0f7jw2f1r0r1fwo1_1280.jpg

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Oh, so you're saying - apart from the fact that you don't understand basic anatomy or neurology - that you don't actually have an answer... again? Well, colour me surprised.
    So you've never heard of left brain thinkers and I don't mean you are pure logic.

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Oh, honey, don't be like that. I know you feel in your age that "everything sucks", or whatever it is you kids say these days... but you can still expect things from yourself. After all, you might get smarter when you grow up. Happens to many people, I hear.
    Like I said case closed. As soon as you said you were a GW proponent then it's more or less like talking to a Borg, especially when you are sprouting off all the indoctrinated propaganda terms and statements. Other words you're no free-thinker.

    Case close, I will not be reply to GW content with you. It's off topic too.
    Last edited by e8hffff; 07-24-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •