Thread: Fedora 9 Rawhide (2008-03-08)

Default Fedora 9 Rawhide (2008-03-08)

Phoronix: Fedora 9 Rawhide (2008-03-08)

The beta release of Fedora 9 has been pushed back another week to March 20, because of stability issues, but to see the progress made by the Fedora / Red Hat developers we did a clean Rawhide installation. Some of the features that have been shaping up well for Fedora 9 include EXT4 file-system support, encrypted file-system support, Firefox 3.0 integration, GCC 4.3 support, enhanced NetworkManager capabilities with "out of the box" support mobile broadband (GSM/CDMA) devices, inclusion of PackageKit, and Upstart replacing SysVinit. Some of the packages currently making up Fedora 9 include GNOME 2.21.92, Linux 2.6.25 RC, X Server 1.5.0 RC 0, and OpenOffice.org 2.4.0. For your viewing pleasure, here are a few screenshots of the latest Fedora 9 Rawhide code as of today.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11989

There is also a special graphics mode in the kernel on the absolute bleeding edge.

There is no Wesnoth 1.4 included in the package manager so far, so it is not interesting for me!

Joke aside:
    The screenshots show that the theme is really good looking, and I *love* to see that a binary distribution is trying to keep up with the bleeding edge. This is a really good thing for users who not want to compile everything (aka Gentoo) or trust in Debian unstable/experimental. It is always good to have some alternatives and it looks like Fedora is currently really aiming to become *the* bleeding edge binary distribution. Good to see a development like this, even though I personally prefer source based distributions (running Gentoo "unstable" myself).