Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: (23.07.) AMD Catalyst™ OpenGL 4.3 Beta Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Gps4l View Post
    I am skeptical about this, but would of course not mind.

http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/...:specificaties

GDDR5 memory.

As far as I understand it, should they not use DDR5 ?
    There is no such thing as ddr5. DDR4 is out next year which is way faster than ddr3 and has lower power consumption. GDDR6 is out probably next year too btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Gps4l
    Modern games like crysis 3, bring even high end pc's with a dedicated vid card to its knees.
    And they don’t have to share some system resources.
    In every benchmark I have seen so far, the integrated graphics perform less then almost every dedicated vid card.
    Even the cheaper ones.
    Now it depends on the card - newer generation APUs are quite good, better than the lower end dedicated cards with DDR3 memory (plenty of these, and usually they use slow RAM) if used with faster RAM and dual channel. RAM is quite cheap nowadays so putting 8 GB of it and allocating 2 GB for the IGP isnt that much of a stretch. I have 4 gigs of RAM and have no problem with sharing 512 MB of it (will expand to 8 GB though in the near future).
    As for gaming performance, you can see from benchmarks that they do quite well. Price is very good since for a dedicated card you still have to get a CPU anyway, the price difference (i base this on the difference between the equivalent IGP-less "Athlon"s and the full blown APUs) is low, its about of a 64 bit lowest order dedicated card (which is no match for them).
    Naturally, they dont reach the performance of a dedicated card with 128 bit bus and DDR5 memory, because of obvious technical limitations.
    Their "reason d'etre" is lower price, power consumption, simple setup and adequate video performance - ideal for cases (like mine) where adding a dedicated video card is only complicating things because the APU can do the job just fine by itself or limited space (htpc).
    I dont play single player recent AAA titles, i only run Linux and play dedicated network games (DoD, TF2, Urban Terror and the like) and those work just great on my APU. So in my case the APU is a perfectly adequate solution as its for any casual player.

PS. Nowadays games tend to need much more processing power than its warranted - to be able to see a few more and better defined wrinkles, somewhat better surface reflections, shadows and stuff you need to invest serious money. I really dont care for these features, when i play something i focus on what i do, not stare all day at the scenery - the "aah, my armor/weapon has somewhat more realistic reflections!" reaction wears off after a while and definitely doesnt deserve that amount of money.
    If the game needs oscene amounts of video power just to start up, i just say pass, its not that i will miss out something significant in my life anyway... Most games have lower setting options anyway and they do look quite ok with them also. I really dont see the big deal of not having Directx 11 capable hardware (which i do anyway) and missing the few more graphic details (which do come with FPS penalties anyway).
    PS 2 Letely everyone (including Microsoft) started minimalizing stuff and that sort of direction is a blow for the high end gaming industry because OEMs will start thinking that way too (also both intel and AMD moves in that direction) and the computers will become more power efficient and actually slower (thanks, ARM, Android, IOS etc) resulting in the need for games to be able to run on those too if they want sales on the PC platform which in turn will put the game makers back to the drawing table to actually start thinking about code optimizations.
    Last edited by gradinaruvasile; 07-31-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
    There is no such thing as ddr5. DDR4 is out next year which is way faster than ddr3 and has lower power consumption. GDDR6 is out probably next year too btw.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
    Well it is actually used in dedicated video cards so there IS such thing as DDR5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

Maybe you want to point out the fact that DDR5 is/will not be available in PCs as RAM? Although PS4 seems to use DDR5:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6770/s...ardware-inside

Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    Now it depends on the card - newer generation APUs are quite good, better than the lower end dedicated cards with DDR3 memory (plenty of these, and usually they use slow RAM) if used with faster RAM and dual channel. RAM is quite cheap nowadays so putting 8 GB of it and allocating 2 GB for the IGP isnt that much of a stretch. I have 4 gigs of RAM and have no problem with sharing 512 MB of it (will expand to 8 GB though in the near future).
    As for gaming performance, you can see from benchmarks that they do quite well. Price is very good since for a dedicated card you still have to get a CPU anyway, the price difference (i base this on the difference between the equivalent IGP-less "Athlon"s and the full blown APUs) is low, its about of a 64 bit lowest order dedicated card (which is no match for them).
    Naturally, they dont reach the performance of a dedicated card with 128 bit bus and DDR5 memory, because of obvious technical limitations.
    Their "reason d'etre" is lower price, power consumption, simple setup and adequate video performance - ideal for cases (like mine) where adding a dedicated video card is only complicating things because the APU can do the job just fine by itself or limited space (htpc).
    I dont play single player recent AAA titles, i only run Linux and play dedicated network games (DoD, TF2, Urban Terror and the like) and those work just great on my APU. So in my case the APU is a perfectly adequate solution as its for any casual player.

PS. Nowadays games tend to need much more processing power than its warranted - to be able to see a few more and better defined wrinkles, somewhat better surface reflections, shadows and stuff you need to invest serious money. I really dont care for these features, when i play something i focus on what i do, not stare all day at the scenery - the "aah, my armor/weapon has somewhat more realistic reflections!" reaction wears off after a while and definitely doesnt deserve that amount of money.
    If the game needs oscene amounts of video power just to start up, i just say pass, its not that i will miss out something significant in my life anyway... Most games have lower setting options anyway and they do look quite ok with them also. I really dont see the big deal of not having Directx 11 capable hardware (which i do anyway) and missing the few more graphic details (which do come with FPS penalties anyway).
    PS 2 Letely everyone (including Microsoft) started minimalizing stuff and that sort of direction is a blow for the high end gaming industry because OEMs will start thinking that way too (also both intel and AMD moves in that direction) and the computers will become more power efficient and actually slower (thanks, ARM, Android, IOS etc) resulting in the need for games to be able to run on those too if they want sales on the PC platform which in turn will put the game makers back to the drawing table to actually start thinking about code optimizations.
    And thank you too, that does expalin it for me.
    I do not seem to think that different though.

About the price, I do play some AAA games, AvP (3) D11, Aliens Colonial marines, Serious Sam 3, but I am not willing to pay 500 euro for a graphics card.
    I love to game, but 150 - 200 is the limit for me. I can, when I have a job, I can afford a more expensive one, but I think its a waist of money.

I would love to see gamemakers return to the drawingboard because I think the system specs for a game like Crysis 3 are insane.
    You need an I7, my phenom II X4 prob, isn't fast enough to keep up with the real fast vid cards. And that annoys me.

When reading forums, watching a vid, according to windows taskmanager my pc is at 90% idle.....
    How much power do these game makers expect us to put into our pc's ?

And to play crisis 3 on everything high, I fear you need sli or crossfire. ( depending on the size and resolution, of your monitor of course )
    Also my pc can run all cad programs. ( Like Catia ) And because Linux is my main os, since steam came to Linux, crossfire and sli is not an option, besides the power consumption )

So if this is gonna change, I will be very happy.

On a side note, I can play Avp3 all maxed out, at my monitor default resolution, 1680x1050, and I am not worried I can't play crisis 3. I meet the recommended system specs, but not the Hi-Performance Requirements )
    Last edited by Gps4l; 07-31-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    Well it is actually used in dedicated video cards so there IS such thing as DDR5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

Maybe you want to point out the fact that DDR5 is/will not be available in PCs as RAM? Although PS4 seems to use DDR5:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6770/s...ardware-inside
    I used google, and the difference between ddr and gddr, is that basically you can see gddr as overclocked ddr.
    ( higher clock frequencies and more Voltage )

So I was a bit surprised, about the reply, there is no ddr5, but your answer explains this.

Default The is no DDR5

GDDR5 is a modified DDR3.

I am learning allot from this topic.