Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107

Thread: XBMC Ported To Run On Mir Display Server

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,526

    Default XBMC Ported To Run On Mir Display Server

    Phoronix: XBMC Ported To Run On Mir Display Server

    The XBMC media center software has been ported so it can run directly on the Mir Display Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxODc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Fantastic job. It seems that porting an application to Wayland AND Mir is not that hard. So there is no reason for community civil war in the end. It would be nice if they have a healthy competition like OpenOffice/LibreOffice have, that will push both projects to a better and better state. Already Wayland project seemS to have accelerated since Mir announced.
    Last edited by verde; 07-23-2013 at 06:30 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Fantastic job. It seems that porting an application to Wayland AND Mir is not that hard.
    I know it wasn't the focus of your point but... xbmc is not just 'an' application, but 'the' application

    I'm waiting patiently for the day that I can boot a distro/appliance like openelec without any x dependencies (and with fully oss amd drivers on relevant hardware once the driver/acceleration quality/quirks improve)

    Maybe this is closer than I thought and more realistically....feasible.

    Some seriously excellent work and progress I'm seeing. As a naive user it's great to see real-world uses improving so fast I'm an area that really interests me and makes my life 'better'. Optimising the kernel for 8000x CPU racks is nice, but desktops and media consumption really make a difference to me and my selfish needs. Comments from friends even more ignorant than me like "Sweet jebus how does your tv do that?" gives me a warmer feeling inside than "so how do you load this macro'd xlsx on that funny looking desktop?" - helps make the world a better place too
    Last edited by runrun; 07-23-2013 at 07:06 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    43

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Already Wayland project seemS to have accelerated since Mir announced.
    Where on earth did you get that nonsense.

    Here's Wayland development. Tell me just how you came to the conclusion you exposed, as what I see is the exact opposite. There was no effect whatsoever.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bne6LZYiPds

    You should know best than just repeat random claims with people who have no idea what they're talking about. Do your fucking research.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Fantastic job. It seems that porting an application to Wayland AND Mir is not that hard. So there is no reason for community civil war in the end. It would be nice if they have a healthy competition like OpenOffice/LibreOffice have, that will push both projects to a better and better state. Already Wayland project seemS to have accelerated since Mir announced.
    If the best argument for Mir is that having the competition somehow improves Wayland (which is a dubious claim at best, void of any evidence), wouldn't it be even better if instead of Mir, all that effort would be put into... oh I don't know, maybe improving Wayland directly???

    And just because one application has been ported to both Wayland and Mir doesn't mean that it's going to all be sunshine and cookies from thereon. There's still issues like games, proprietary software that gets ported from other platforms, esp. windows where the developers are used to one environment, one everything, no questions asked. Do you think everyone will go through the trouble of developing 2-3 different backends for their software? No, most likely they'll just use X because it's the lowest common denominator that runs on everything.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    43

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    If the best argument for Mir is that having the competition somehow improves Wayland (which is a dubious claim at best, void of any evidence), wouldn't it be even better if instead of Mir, all that effort would be put into... oh I don't know, maybe improving Wayland directly???

    And just because one application has been ported to both Wayland and Mir doesn't mean that it's going to all be sunshine and cookies from thereon. There's still issues like games, proprietary software that gets ported from other platforms, esp. windows where the developers are used to one environment, one everything, no questions asked. Do you think everyone will go through the trouble of developing 2-3 different backends for their software? No, most likely they'll just use X because it's the lowest common denominator that runs on everything.
    Games and applications will use SDL, Qt, GTK and so on as they always have.

    Wayland has first class support upstream on SDL, Qt, GTK. Mir doesn't and probably won't.
    Last edited by rvalles; 07-23-2013 at 08:13 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rvalles View Post
    Games and applications will use SDK, Qt, GTK and so on as they always have.
    Not nearly all of them do. There's plenty of applications, including games, that need to talk to the display server directly, and don't/can't use any toolkit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Not nearly all of them do. There's plenty of applications, including games, that need to talk to the display server directly, and don't/can't use any toolkit.
    Games generally want OpenGL and will get it through SDL.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    If the best argument for Mir is that having the competition somehow improves Wayland (which is a dubious claim at best, void of any evidence), wouldn't it be even better if instead of Mir, all that effort would be put into... oh I don't know, maybe improving Wayland directly???

    And just because one application has been ported to both Wayland and Mir doesn't mean that it's going to all be sunshine and cookies from thereon. There's still issues like games, proprietary software that gets ported from other platforms, esp. windows where the developers are used to one environment, one everything, no questions asked. Do you think everyone will go through the trouble of developing 2-3 different backends for their software? No, most likely they'll just use X because it's the lowest common denominator that runs on everything.
    First of all I will just say that you dont have evidence for the opposite.

    Second so you are saying that it would be better if we had one opensource media player, browser, office suite, distribution, de, display server except you approve otherwise in each case. I am sorry that's not open-source. Open source means forking. And of course NO ONE can stop you from creating or forking under gplv3. Don't like it. Don't use it. Don't port your app there. or port it and charge it. I can't see any problem there. Mir's problem.

    Third in every project someone must take decisions. Why should Canonical and Wayland cooperate when there is clearly a direction problem between them. Mir is costing Canonical reputiation and money. Shuttleworth is not insane. Stop being haters and think more before judge anything. The easy solution was supporting Wayland. But was the best? I think Canonical is affraid to say public that Wayland is not viable for them. probably for technical reasons. I strongly believe that Ubuntu Touch wouldn't be in that state today with Wayland. Thats of course mine affair.

    And last but not least to prove that forking is good i will let you compare today Gnome and Unity. Objectively Unity is more polished, modern, productive, feature rich and as Phoronix proved faster DE. Could Canonical do the same feature changes under Gnome? Of course not! You have an answer why Mir exist now.
    Last edited by verde; 07-23-2013 at 09:30 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Open source means forking.
    project a: "printf("Hello world!"); /* spawn web server */ printf("Goodbye world!");"

    project b: Ooh, that looks nice, I could use it my project.... "printf("Hello world!"); /* spawn text editor */ printf("Goodbye world!");"

    notafork
    Last edited by Nobu; 07-23-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: unexpected end of stream...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •