Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical Lowers Ubuntu Edge Pricing

Default Canonical Lowers Ubuntu Edge Pricing

Phoronix: Canonical Lowers Ubuntu Edge Pricing

Canonical has listened to the feedback regarding their crowd-funded Ubuntu Edge smart-phone. The company still needs to raise 32 million dollars in the next month, but they have decided to lower the per-unit prices on the phone...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxODg

If they keep the $600 page tag they may fulfill the $32 millions goal, but as it was seen things went a lot slower when only $830 was available, so I doubt they will make it if it is higher than $600

Variable-pricing pricing campaigns are always harder, I think.
    It's hard not to feel cheated when you ask for a lot of money and then you discover you could have paid a significant amount less if you'd bought yesterday. I know I've been put off by other kickstarters doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    It's hard not to feel cheated when you ask for a lot of money and then you discover you could have paid a significant amount less if you'd bought yesterday. I know I've been put off by other kickstarters doing that.
    If you have bought the 830$ or the doable deal you'll receive the difference to 625$ so no need to fell cheated as you arenít.

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    They are refunding those people the difference.

I don't see this succeeding. Its a great idea and will work for 99% of the average desktop user's use cases. However, the type of people who into this type of crowd funding are in the 1%. I also don't trust $700 for a phone with specs to be named later. They should probably use something x86 since its more mature. In a year who knows, maybe they burned through a bunch of money with hardware development and they give me a phone that's comparable to a phone selling for $300.

i do see them making it to the 32mil even befor this, it's just if the Phone end's up being a POS this may Doom Canonical, and in the pasts Canonical has had the worst QA out of any big player i seen, well maybe MS is just as bad any one remember Windows 95? in 2000 or vista? and, if the phone break after the 28day you're SOL a 700$ to 900$ paper weight and the Phone is GSM only so in the US it's T-mobile or AT&T if you even get support from them at all

Quote Originally Posted by BreezeDM View Post
    They are refunding those people the difference.

I don't see this succeeding. Its a great idea and will work for 99% of the average desktop user's use cases. However, the type of people who into this type of crowd funding are in the 1%. I also don't trust $700 for a phone with specs to be named later. They should probably use something x86 since its more mature. In a year who knows, maybe they burned through a bunch of money with hardware development and they give me a phone that's comparable to a phone selling for $300.
    Do you really believe that a smartphone with quad-core CPU, 128GB SSD and sapphire crystal screen protector that can run native Ubuntu OS if you dock it with mini HDMI cable will cost 300$ in the next 10 months?

I think the big elephant in the room is carrier subsidies. Most people expect to pay $100 or so upfront, and lock into a contract. I would love to get one of these phones when I renew my cellphone contract, but I wouldn't splurge on a $600 or higher purchase of a cellphone right now.

Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Do you really believe that a smartphone with quad-core CPU, 128GB SSD and sapphire crystal screen protector that can run native Ubuntu OS if you dock it with mini HDMI cable will cost 300$ in the next 10 months?
    cheap SSD's die fast and, it's going to be the ARM native Ubuntu OS (Pukes a little) From what i seen. also its going to start off as the Andoird Ubuntu OS App.... (eww) then move over to Ubuntu Some day

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    cheap SSD's die fast and, it's going to be the ARM native Ubuntu OS (Pukes a little) From what i seen. also its going to start off as the Andoird Ubuntu OS App.... (eww) then move over to Ubuntu Some day
    You again?