Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: Canonical Lowers Ubuntu Edge Pricing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,805

    Default Canonical Lowers Ubuntu Edge Pricing

    Phoronix: Canonical Lowers Ubuntu Edge Pricing

    Canonical has listened to the feedback regarding their crowd-funded Ubuntu Edge smart-phone. The company still needs to raise 32 million dollars in the next month, but they have decided to lower the per-unit prices on the phone...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxODg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    169

    Default

    If they keep the $600 page tag they may fulfill the $32 millions goal, but as it was seen things went a lot slower when only $830 was available, so I doubt they will make it if it is higher than $600

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Variable-pricing pricing campaigns are always harder, I think.
    It's hard not to feel cheated when you ask for a lot of money and then you discover you could have paid a significant amount less if you'd bought yesterday. I know I've been put off by other kickstarters doing that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Variable-pricing pricing campaigns are always harder, I think.
    It's hard not to feel cheated when you ask for a lot of money and then you discover you could have paid a significant amount less if you'd bought yesterday. I know I've been put off by other kickstarters doing that.
    If you have bought the 830$ or the doable deal you'll receive the difference to 625$ so no need to fell cheated as you arenít.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Variable-pricing pricing campaigns are always harder, I think.
    It's hard not to feel cheated when you ask for a lot of money and then you discover you could have paid a significant amount less if you'd bought yesterday. I know I've been put off by other kickstarters doing that.
    They are refunding those people the difference.

    I don't see this succeeding. Its a great idea and will work for 99% of the average desktop user's use cases. However, the type of people who into this type of crowd funding are in the 1%. I also don't trust $700 for a phone with specs to be named later. They should probably use something x86 since its more mature. In a year who knows, maybe they burned through a bunch of money with hardware development and they give me a phone that's comparable to a phone selling for $300.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    i do see them making it to the 32mil even befor this, it's just if the Phone end's up being a POS this may Doom Canonical, and in the pasts Canonical has had the worst QA out of any big player i seen, well maybe MS is just as bad any one remember Windows 95? in 2000 or vista? and, if the phone break after the 28day you're SOL a 700$ to 900$ paper weight and the Phone is GSM only so in the US it's T-mobile or AT&T if you even get support from them at all

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BreezeDM View Post
    They are refunding those people the difference.

    I don't see this succeeding. Its a great idea and will work for 99% of the average desktop user's use cases. However, the type of people who into this type of crowd funding are in the 1%. I also don't trust $700 for a phone with specs to be named later. They should probably use something x86 since its more mature. In a year who knows, maybe they burned through a bunch of money with hardware development and they give me a phone that's comparable to a phone selling for $300.
    Do you really believe that a smartphone with quad-core CPU, 128GB SSD and sapphire crystal screen protector that can run native Ubuntu OS if you dock it with mini HDMI cable will cost 300$ in the next 10 months?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    548

    Default

    I think the big elephant in the room is carrier subsidies. Most people expect to pay $100 or so upfront, and lock into a contract. I would love to get one of these phones when I renew my cellphone contract, but I wouldn't splurge on a $600 or higher purchase of a cellphone right now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Do you really believe that a smartphone with quad-core CPU, 128GB SSD and sapphire crystal screen protector that can run native Ubuntu OS if you dock it with mini HDMI cable will cost 300$ in the next 10 months?
    cheap SSD's die fast and, it's going to be the ARM native Ubuntu OS (Pukes a little) From what i seen. also its going to start off as the Andoird Ubuntu OS App.... (eww) then move over to Ubuntu Some day

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    cheap SSD's die fast and, it's going to be the ARM native Ubuntu OS (Pukes a little) From what i seen. also its going to start off as the Andoird Ubuntu OS App.... (eww) then move over to Ubuntu Some day
    You again?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •