Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Ubuntu 13.10 Derivatives Do Their Alpha 2 Release

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,378

    Default Ubuntu 13.10 Derivatives Do Their Alpha 2 Release

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 Derivatives Do Their Alpha 2 Release

    While Ubuntu itself no longer does alpha releases, several of its derivatives are doing their "Saucy Salamander" Alpha 2 releases today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyMDU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 Derivatives Do Their Alpha 2 Release

    While Ubuntu itself no longer does alpha releases, several of its derivatives are doing their "Saucy Salamander" Alpha 2 releases today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyMDU
    It's sad that XFCE 4.11 its still under development. It is a FANASTIC DE for old machines with 1GB RAM or lower and propably will not be ready for Xubuntu 13.10.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    It is a FANASTIC DE for old machines with 1GB RAM or lower
    Also a fantastic DE for higher end computers as well. My system isn't this massive gaming rig beast, but it's pretty decent and it screams along with XFCE.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    Also a fantastic DE for higher end computers as well. My system isn't this massive gaming rig beast, but it's pretty decent and it screams along with XFCE.
    In modern hardware with decent GPU i prefer Unity. I do my work faster than any other DE (even Windows 7). Thats a fact and personal taste of course.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    In modern hardware with decent GPU i prefer Unity. I do my work faster than any other DE (even Windows 7). Thats a fact and personal taste of course.
    The party pooper for me about Unity is the lack of a classic applications menu and panels customization. Having to write the application name is a pain in the ass for me, thats why I stick to XFCE which can be customized enough to look like like unity and much much further increasing overall productivity.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Unity is starting to suck even more... been testing Ubuntu 13.10

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    In modern hardware with decent GPU i prefer Unity. I do my work faster than any other DE (even Windows 7). Thats a fact and personal taste of course.
    With a multi-thousand dollar system, I'd still run Xubuntu and XFCE.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    Unity is starting to suck even more... been testing Ubuntu 13.10
    Considering no new features were added this cycle to Unity7, just bug fixes, that impression seems odd. Maybe a user specific driver or bug issue? Also considering, this is considered Alpha2 in the pre-no-alpha Ubuntu cycle, bugs are expected, kinda a no-brainer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Considering no new features were added this cycle to Unity7, just bug fixes, that impression seems odd. Maybe a user specific driver or bug issue? Also considering, this is considered Alpha2 in the pre-no-alpha Ubuntu cycle, bugs are expected, kinda a no-brainer.
    S/He is the biggest anti-Ubuntu troll in here. Don't take his claims seriously. He would never try Ubuntu in any case.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    With a multi-thousand dollar system, I'd still run Xubuntu and XFCE.
    haha it is truly fantastic but i think you exaggerate..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •