4K capable cards and open drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4K capable cards and open drivers

Out of curiosity. Which cards can support 4k monitors and is there anything special that needs to be done with the open drivers??

Bump... anyone have any info on this yet?

Comment

Theoretically it should work with all DisplayPort >1.2 cards, Radeon HD 6000+, but afaik only the 7000s are advertised with 4k.

But if radeonsi or r600 work with 4k resolution I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
        Theoretically it should work with all DisplayPort >1.2 cards, Radeon HD 6000+, but afaik only the 7000s are advertised with 4k.
        I think it should work for DP on DCE5 cards (Northern Islands) and it should work for DP and HDMI on DCE6 and newer cards (Southern Islands+ and Trinity). The necessary drm patches to properly fetch the 4k modes from the monitor went into 3.12.

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
        But if radeonsi or r600 work with 4k resolution I don't know.
        The 3D drivers should have no problem supporting 4k or larger desktops. The max surface size on r6xx asics was 8kx8k and it was raised to 16kx16k on evergreen.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          The 3D drivers should have no problem supporting 4k or larger desktops. The max surface size on r6xx asics was 8kx8k and it was raised to 16kx16k on evergreen.
          On the AMD website for 6850 (my card) it states Max resolution: 2560x1600 per display over DP 1.2.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            On the AMD website for 6850 (my card) it states Max resolution: 2560x1600 per display over DP 1.2.
            Addressable surface size (e.g., the max size surface the 3D engine can address) and max display timings are different things. E.g., with eyefinity, you may have a large surface with 3 or 4 monitors looking into it that the 3D engine is rendering to, but each monitor is only scanning out a small portion of the total surface.

Comment

Addressable surface size (e.g., the max size surface the 3D engine can address) and max display timings are different things. E.g., with eyefinity, you may have a large surface with 3 or 4 monitors looking into it that the 3D engine is rendering to, but each monitor is only scanning out a small portion of the total surface.
              So this means that i cannot use my card with a 4K monitor (if santa brings one -ie not a chance of buying one with my current financial situation).

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                So this means that i cannot use my card with a 4K monitor (if santa brings one -ie not a chance of buying one with my current financial situation).
                As I said before, DCE5 cards (Northern Islands) only support 4k monitors over DisplayPort (DP). For 4k over HDMI, you need to a DCE6 or newer card (Southern Islands).

Comment

As I said before, DCE5 cards (Northern Islands) only support 4k monitors over DisplayPort (DP). For 4k over HDMI, you need to a DCE6 or newer card (Southern Islands).
                  Ok thanks. DP is my choice (in4b dirty joke). Now whats missing is the 4K monitor.

BTW could an amd employee wear a ski boot and kick the guy who came up with all the numbering, names, etc in the throat. I would truly appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                  X