Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Radeon DPM Is Fantastic For Power Use, Thermal Performance

@agd5f

are there any news on UVD support for RS770/880?

After testing radeon.dpm=1 on the latest batch of LiveCDs featuring the 3.11 kernel (openSUSE 13.1 beta 1, Ubuntu 13.10 beta 2), it seems the fan on my Gigabyte HD7770 OC doesn't care much for it an spins at full speed. Is an HDD install required, in order to pull in some extra tidbits? The /lib/firmware/radeon folder seemed to be in order...

Quote Originally Posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    After testing radeon.dpm=1 on the latest batch of LiveCDs featuring the 3.11 kernel (openSUSE 13.1 beta 1, Ubuntu 13.10 beta 2), it seems the fan on my Gigabyte HD7770 OC doesn't care much for it an spins at full speed. Is an HDD install required, in order to pull in some extra tidbits? The /lib/firmware/radeon folder seemed to be in order...
    Do you have dual monitors? I have dual screen and my fan runs at full speed with radeon drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Do you have dual monitors? I have dual screen and my fan runs at full speed with radeon drivers.
    Nope, single screen.

The problem might be the BIOS fan values.
    Catalyst seems to ignore high minimum fan values and forces it's own.

Minimum BIOS settings for my GigaByte 6870 Windforce was 70%, had to modify it with the Radeon Bios Editor from TechPowerUp to silence the card with the opensource driver.

Lucky that your HD6870 works with RBE. Using it on my Sapphire HD6850 causes blue screens in Windows and radeon not to load at all in Linux. Shame, because that was my prefered method of managing fan speeds for my cards (and forcing overclocks).

Exclamation

I have a serious problem and I don't now if it's related to kernel or opensource drivers. I'm using Xubuntu 13.04, I have a Mobility Radeon HD 3650 card and I use the latest version of the kernel (3.12) with DPM activated and the Oibaf PPA. Often, the screen freezes, goes black and then turns on again but there are graphical glitches (distortions and other things) and the system is unresponsive, then I have to do a forced shutdown. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thanks in advance.