Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    This should have been out weeks ago.
    Kernel 3.10 support is late, now release candidates for 3.11 are out.
    AMD needs to be quicker in supporting the latest Linux kernel.
    Ubuntu patched their fglrx for 3.10 over a month ago, so the patch has been out at least that long...

Comment

Originally posted by .CME. View Post
      It tries to access /proc/ati/major, but only root is allowed to access that folder. Use chmod 555 as a temporary workaround.
      A more permanent fix to your solution:

Code:
      --- firegl_public.c_old 2013-07-29 17:54:07.000000000 +0200
      +++ firegl_public.c_new 2013-08-02 02:59:07.000000000 +0200
      @@ -821,7 +821,7 @@
           KCL_DEBUG1(FN_FIREGL_PROC, "minor %d, proc_list 0x%08lx\n", minor, (unsigned long)proc_list);
           if (!minor)
           {
      -        root = KCL_create_proc_dir(NULL, "ati", S_IFDIR);
      +        root = KCL_create_proc_dir(NULL, "ati", S_IFDIR|S_IRUGO|S_IXUGO);
           }

if (!root)
      Apply the patch to firegl_public.c and recompile everything.
      Last edited by flim; 01 August 2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Anyone care to chime in on how this performs with Radeon HD 7000 series in Source engine games like TF2 before I make the jump in installing this?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          Anyone care to chime in on how this performs with Radeon HD 7000 series in Source engine games like TF2 before I make the jump in installing this?
          Left 4 Dead 2:
          With 13.6 Beta this game was unplayable, but now everything runs smooth. Slightly stuttering at the beginning and the first zombie wave but one 360 degree turn with your char and everything is fine.
          So yes, give it a try.

Comment

TF2 is nice with this driver on a Radeon 7950 at 1440p resolution. This game was unplayable with the 12.10 driver series. It isn't good enough with an A6-4455m APU though. That hardware barely works for TF2 in Windows.

Comment

Completely unusable for me!!
              Permission problems as mentioned above, even if I change with chmod the ownership of /proc/ati/ ever reboot takes it back to root meaning I have no 3D at all!
              If I change the ownership and logout-login I get effects with Kwin, 3D etc but Heaven 4.0 hard locks my system!

ATI RadeonHD 5850 here, Kernel 3.10.4, Xserver 1.14.2, openSuSE 12.3, KDE 4.11 latest rc.

PS: I am using now the 3.11 rc3 kernel with latest Xorg stack and Mesa 9.3 git! DPM works fine and 3D performance is really acceptable now! Unigine benches however don't render correctly... 2D and video performance is a miracle compared to Catalyst!!

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                no point the Opensource Drivers support HD2000 and up and are going to be really well Supported soon
                Sadly not an option for people like me who rely on 3D performance..

Comment

With Tear-Free enabled i get only 30 FPS with glxgears.
                  Can You guys please check this too?

P.S. my OS Ubuntu 12.04.2.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                    With Tear-Free enabled i get only 30 FPS with glxgears.
                    W/O Tear-free it was like 3500 FPS, with Tear-free i have 30 FPS wich is strage (it should be 60 FPS).

P.S. Now i have same 30 FPS in tear-free mode even with 13.6 Beta drivers. Later i'll try to install Catalyst 13.4, and will see if it changes.

Comment

Originally posted by flim View Post
                      A more permanent fix to your solution:

Code:
                      --- firegl_public.c_old 2013-07-29 17:54:07.000000000 +0200
                      +++ firegl_public.c_new 2013-08-02 02:59:07.000000000 +0200
                      @@ -821,7 +821,7 @@
                           KCL_DEBUG1(FN_FIREGL_PROC, "minor %d, proc_list 0x%08lx\n", minor, (unsigned long)proc_list);
                           if (!minor)
                           {
                      -        root = KCL_create_proc_dir(NULL, "ati", S_IFDIR);
                      +        root = KCL_create_proc_dir(NULL, "ati", S_IFDIR|S_IRUGO|S_IXUGO);
                           }

if (!root)
                      Apply the patch to firegl_public.c and recompile everything.
                      Thank you. Thus, below the text already in the patch file. I just saw that there is a problem with permissions [granted only for root], but I did not know where to look . After applying the patch the drivers is 'working'. That's it "works" but you can not say that "working properly". Compared to my opinion the best out 13.3 beta3, which operate directly genius - games such as L4D2, CS: S, Portal, HL2: E2, Dota2, Oil Rush, Xonotic working under this drivers brilliantly! ... and here, as compared to their 13.8 beta1 - X370 tested on AMD APU E-350:

- Are slower than 12 to 30% - 12% e.g. at Xonotic, additionally there is not complete liquidity like on 13.3 beta3 - every moment "tears". For example, games in wine 1.6 e.g. LFS operate up to 30% slower than the 13.3 beta 3

- Games like L4D2, CS: S, Portal start at some point, "choke" and I saw there some weird dumps [you can not "kill" a game] - congesting the ram memory to the maximum and begins to fill the swap.

- Conclusion: the Catalyst 13.4, 13.6 beta [there was input lag - mouse], the version 13.15 [OGL 4.3] where there is no lag but it is the loss of productivity, and in 13.8 beta1 ... These drivers are unusable. Leaving only 13.3 beta3 = maximum stable, efficient, and providing a brilliant system responsiveness [with appropriately optimized kernel]. For example, in my line of Brazos kernels [optimized to run on Athlon II up]:

fglrx-13.8-root-fix.patch

L4D2 settings on AMD APU E-350:

Anizo: 16x
                      VSync: off
                      Shader Details: Medium
                      Details of the effects: medium
                      Details of model/texture: high
                      multi-core rendering: Enabled [but better for the poor E-350 disable this]
                      Last edited by ext73; 02 August 2013, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X