Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: AMD Kabini APU Support Comes To Coreboot

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Is there any modern, usable mobo that supports coreboot that a consumer can actually buy and use with all latest processors. If not those stuff only matter to OEMs.
    It seems that AMD are more cooperative then Intel when it comes to Coreboot support, heres what the compatibility list for the current version:
    http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards

    Socket FM2
    Asus F2A85-M

    Socket AM3+
    Asus M5A88-V

    Both of those are easy enough to find, neither is an OEM board. OEM boards would suck for this anyways, since you would need something with at the very least an easily swappable bios chip or better yet a mobo with a dual bios chip setup so you can experiment with far less risk of bricking the board.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I wish there were a AMD Kabini-based single-board computer.
    Something to compete with Raspberry Pi.
    I've been wondering ever since AMD bought ATI why nobody has taken one of AMD's low TDP chips and a fast notebook GPU and made a single board HTPC DVR/TV tuner. Something the size of a game console running Myth or XBMC running silent on the shelf under the TV would be pretty nice.

    This idea gets even more viable if the next gen APUs will have a GPU as fast as is rumored. Bluetooth KB/Mouse and game controller would make for a great HTPC with an emphasis on more then just playing back videos.
    Last edited by Kivada; 08-07-2013 at 02:36 AM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    It seems that AMD are more cooperative then Intel when it comes to Coreboot support, heres what the compatibility list for the current version:
    http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards

    Socket FM2
    Asus F2A85-M

    Socket AM3+
    Asus M5A88-V

    Both of those are easy enough to find, neither is an OEM board. OEM boards would suck for this anyways, since you would need something with at the very least an easily swappable bios chip or better yet a mobo with a dual bios chip setup so you can experiment with far less risk of bricking the board.
    The Gigabyte Mobo's have dual BIOS/UEFI.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I would love to be able to use coreboot on my laptop if I knew how to set it up and not risk bricking it.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    680

    Default

    With a laptop, risking it is basically all you do. Not counting ChromeBook there is a total of two laptops supported, and both are older models from obscure brands.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Don't respond to spambots.

    (this one seems to take a piece of text from the first page of the thread, copypaste it and add some emoticons in the end, for some reason. maybe to fool everyone that it's a legit poster, then the linkstorm begins... buyviagra.com)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    140

    Default Kabini Chromebook

    I take it this paves the way for a Kabini Chromebook. They have all been Intel CPU/GPU so far. This might allow for even cheaper Chromebooks. As a secondary device I find my Acer Chromebook very useful and the fact that it looks after it's own system maintenance is a big plus - because I do not need to spend time on routine stuff that is time consuming enough on my main machine.

    I have no interest in adding a distro to my Chromebook. If you are going to do that you might just as well buy a cheap notebook and remove Windows, which is what I have done in the past.

    Anyway, a Kabini based Chromebook sounds like a plus to me.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grege View Post
    I take it this paves the way for a Kabini Chromebook. They have all been Intel CPU/GPU so far. This might allow for even cheaper Chromebooks. As a secondary device I find my Acer Chromebook very useful and the fact that it looks after it's own system maintenance is a big plus - because I do not need to spend time on routine stuff that is time consuming enough on my main machine.

    I have no interest in adding a distro to my Chromebook. If you are going to do that you might just as well buy a cheap notebook and remove Windows, which is what I have done in the past.

    Anyway, a Kabini based Chromebook sounds like a plus to me.
    AMD has a long history of supporting coreboot, Google has had to add Intel support them self so clearly they have a strong preference for Intel.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    821

    Default

    I think the Intel exclusivity in Chromebooks was not related to Coreboot. The radeon driver not supporting video acceleration or proper power management could have been the deal breaker.

    Now that radeon UVD and DPM code have been mainlined, the prospects for AMD Chromebooks look much better.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    I think the Intel exclusivity in Chromebooks was not related to Coreboot. The radeon driver not supporting video acceleration or proper power management could have been the deal breaker.
    Weren't there i945 chromebooks? That thing has neither advanced power savings nor video accel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •