Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Orbital: A New Shell For Wayland's Weston

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    Maybe some video cards can encode video directly from buffers?
    I also suppose the issues are mostly the same when doing remote display?
    I haven't heard of any recent video cards supporting vp8 natively, so you'd have to implement it in OpenCL,
    assuming your driver supports cl_khr_gl_sharing for CL GL interop.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    You still forgot a) the cost of VRAM->RAM transfers (as was already mentioned)
    No, that's why I was talking about the timestamps: Use them to re-arrange the frames after they all landed on the HDD (the recording is over).
    and b) the computational cost of encoding high resolution video in real time.
    So why do it in real time? First record all frames, then encode them to a video.

    Anyway, it was just a question.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    No, that's why I was talking about the timestamps: Use them to re-arrange the frames after they all landed on the HDD (the recording is over).

    So why do it in real time? First record all frames, then encode them to a video.

    Anyway, it was just a question.
    As raw frame data? At 30fps 1080p, that's 237MB per second. Almost 100GB in just 7 minutes.

    Not many people have that much hard drive space, and you're going to really be saturating your IO just to save it all which could add performance problems of it's own. It's definitely too large to just store in RAM.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 08-24-2013 at 10:47 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    There's something I don't quite get here. Why is a simple task of screen recording so difficult on linux and everyday simple and effortless task on osx/windows?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    There's something I don't quite get here. Why is a simple task of screen recording so difficult on linux and everyday simple and effortless task on osx/windows?
    Because nobody cares enough about making that easy.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    I haven't heard of any recent video cards supporting vp8 natively, so you'd have to implement it in OpenCL,
    assuming your driver supports cl_khr_gl_sharing for CL GL interop.
    You don't have to record it to vp8 directly. Use whatever is native to the GPU, then re-encode to vp8 for distribution.

    As for saving all frames, it should be possible to only get damaged zones for each frame, greatly reducing the volume of data.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •