Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The Performance Impact Of Fedora 19 Updates

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,388

    Default The Performance Impact Of Fedora 19 Updates

    Phoronix: The Performance Impact Of Fedora 19 Updates

    With Fedora more liberally pushing down package updates compared to Ubuntu Linux and other fixed-release distributions, how has the performance evolved since the release of "Schrödinger's Cat" in early July? Here's some benchmarks showing how the Fedora 19 performance has evolved with a newer kernel and other changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzMjc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    For those interested on Windows side opposite is result of keeping OS fully updated Win7 updates slow OS down...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    For those interested on Windows side opposite is result of keeping OS fully updated Win7 updates slow OS down...
    ... still faster than linux

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
    ... still faster than linux
    Only if your video drivers suck. (AMD)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
    ... still faster than linux
    Nvidia's GPU's are faster on Linux then Windows even on the old shitty Xorg server

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    On the AMD driver bashing note:

    I Have been using a HD6950 without issues using the Catalyst Drivers, With this I was able to Play Various Windows Games via Wine and Native without an difference in end user experience compared to the Binary Nvidia Blob (GTX660)
    Please think before posting and just don't just tag along with the crowd. Dig in and test yourselves. IF you do have issues share and let us all work together to resolve them

    I will also admit that the Catalyst Installer has been a lot more user friendly and first time successful than the Nvidia's installer time and time again on Debian Testing.

    What have you guys experienced?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwagga View Post
    On the AMD driver bashing note:

    I Have been using a HD6950 without issues using the Catalyst Drivers, With this I was able to Play Various Windows Games via Wine and Native without an difference in end user experience compared to the Binary Nvidia Blob (GTX660)
    Please think before posting and just don't just tag along with the crowd. Dig in and test yourselves. IF you do have issues share and let us all work together to resolve them

    I will also admit that the Catalyst Installer has been a lot more user friendly and first time successful than the Nvidia's installer time and time again on Debian Testing.

    What have you guys experienced?
    The crowd? I'd say what's widely known http://askubuntu.com/questions/17863...raphics-driver The 'legacy' chipset bollocks, the requirement of Xorg 1.13 or older bollocks. We could go on.

    On the subject - does a regular user stand a chance in noticing such performance changes?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Well as you can see there is a small across-the-board advantage for updating your cat. I really like this method of small constant improvement in Linux.

    But the actual performance difference here is so small that i really doubt anyone can notice.
    Last edited by varikonniemi; 08-11-2013 at 08:11 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Any of you using bumblebee with F19?Anything of note to report ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    Nvidia's GPU's are faster on Linux then Windows even on the old shitty Xorg server
    Nice story, broo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •