Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank you amd, now I can't use Linux

Default Thank you amd, now I can't use Linux

I have a desktop with asrock fm2 a75 board, amd a8 5600k and 4 gb of ram, and with opensource drivers, my system restart or freezing randomly, is so annoying :/, and with closed drivers, the performance is so poortly.., with windows my system doesn't have any problem.

Thanks amd for doing my linux experience a nightmare.

More information would be welcome. Especially as this doesn't seem to be a general problem.
    What distribution?
    Did you install fglrx (catalyst) via your distribution's packet manager or via the AMD installer?
    Please paste the output of "glxinfo | grep render" and "glxinfo | grep version". Please do this also for the 32bit version of glxinfo, if your distribution is a 64 bit version.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderon View Post
    More information would be welcome. Especially as this doesn't seem to be a general problem.
    What distribution?
    Did you install fglrx (catalyst) via your distribution's packet manager or via the AMD installer?
    Please paste the output of "glxinfo | grep render" and "glxinfo | grep version". Please do this also for the 32bit version of glxinfo, if your distribution is a 64 bit version.
    I tried the opensource drivers with archlinux, chakra linux, ubuntu 13.04 , ubuntu 13.10, averigde mesa, mesa git, kernel 3.9,3.10, 3.11 git....;(
    All this distros,reboot suddenly after 30/40 minutes of usage if I use opensource drivers...

With catalyst drivers, by ppa for example, on kubuntu had slow perfomance, flash is soooo slow, vlc xv or mplayer xv are so slow compared to opengl output, and opengl ouptut have artifacts when you switch to fullscren at window mode...
    On archlinux , is completely sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow if I use gnome shell, and the shell crash every 2 or 3 hours of use...

Really it's a shame

The opensource driver is the only with good 2d performance but it restart my computer after a while for no reason

A wild guess as it happens without any specific software version: your GPU might become too hot, as the radeon driver does not have real dpm before kernel version 3.11.
    As such the GPU runs really, really hot all the time.

For example I'm using Arch Linux with the newest mesa-git and I've used it for over 1 year and never had a single crash related to my gpu/this driver. So a general instability means that something's going on that should be debugged. Can you please read the GPU's temperatures after letting your computer run for a while?
    That your computer does not freeze with fglrx supports that theory as it has proper power management.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderon View Post
    A wild guess as it happens without any specific software version: your GPU might become too hot, as the radeon driver does not have real dpm before kernel version 3.11.
    As such the GPU runs really, really hot all the time.

For example I'm using Arch Linux with the newest mesa-git and I've used it for over 1 year and never had a single crash related to my gpu/this driver. So a general instability means that something's going on that should be debugged. Can you please read the GPU's temperatures after letting your computer run for a while?
    That your computer does not freeze with fglrx supports that theory as it has proper power management.
    Later I will try, I 'm waiting for a an apu replacement, and I will try with the new ...:/.
    in the afternoon I will try, and so I know if the problem was the apu or energy control
    Any way for read the log after the reboot?
    Last edited by pandev92; 08-07-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pandev92 View Post
    Later I will try, I 'm waiting for a an apu replacement, and I will try with the new ...:/.
    in the afternoon I will try, and so I know if the problem was the apu or energy control
    Any way for read the log after the reboot?
    IF the problem is with power management, very easy way to see overheating is to use a temperature monitoring widget, in KDE plasmoid. You stick it in your workspace, do stuff and see the curve constantly rise. If such pattern does not emerge, then it means the problem is NOT caused by overheating. And make sure you monitor the GPU temperature, not CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirager View Post
    IF the problem is with power management, very easy way to see overheating is to use a temperature monitoring widget, in KDE plasmoid. You stick it in your workspace, do stuff and see the curve constantly rise. If such pattern does not emerge, then it means the problem is NOT caused by overheating. And make sure you monitor the GPU temperature, not CPU.
    cpu 39 degrees celsius, gpu 53.., I think it's a bug with the kernel power management...:/ that reset my pc

Quote Originally Posted by pandev92 View Post
    reboot suddenly
    That's rather strange. Maybe it's a kernel panic and it is set to immediately reboot?
    Maybe kernel.panic = 60 in /etc/sysctl.conf helps with that?
    If you have another PC, maybe you can set up netconsole to see whether there are any last messages from the kernel before the reboot.

did you do a BIOS update? to the MB?

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    did you do a BIOS update? to the MB?
    Yes I have the latest update for my asrock fm2 a75m dgs. I think this is a kernel panic..., yesterday I tried and I could'nt start any live cd..., drm amd block....:/, I reset my bios and now I can start the live cd's of kubuntu, chakra etc..., but after 30/40 minutes it suddenly restart.