Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Hawaii Wayland/Weston Shell Gets New Release

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    510

    Default

    I'm not impressed with this shell. Its no way near user-ready. Its just a pet project because someone was bored waiting for gnome and kde to get thier DE's ready for wayland. Once gnome and kde get their DE's to wayland, I bet $5 that this project will be discontinued.

    NOTE: I'm bored to tears waiting for wayland to be finished as well.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurosan View Post
    And it's about time. Personally I've always found the appearance of most GTK/Gnome themes much too cartoonish and juvenile (and the apps too childlike in their simplicity). GNOME, XFCE, Elementary, etc. are all guilty on that count.
    Hopefully no one falls for your lame troll. As if any toolkit's technological merits were actually based on which themes external projects use…

    Yes, technologically Qt is better than GTK (at least currently) but choice of themes has nothing to do with that.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Yes, technologically Qt is better than GTK (at least currently) but choice of themes has nothing to do with that.
    Developers across desktop environments work together using freedesktop.org. Stupid trolls on Phoronix are pretty ignorant of what is going on. Suggesting hate between toolkits where there is none makes the troll even more foolish.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurosan View Post
    And it's about time. Personally I've always found the appearance of most GTK/Gnome themes much too cartoonish and juvenile (and the apps too childlike in their simplicity). GNOME, XFCE, Elementary, etc. are all guilty on that count. Is it any wonder that Linux on the dektop has had difficulty gaining traction in the enterprise when the desktop looks as works like it was designed for a 10 year old?

    I'm hoping that the rise of Weston/Wayland will usher in a new era of choice, other than KDE, in desktops for adults.
    BS, Gtk3 has plenty of good looking themes. Gtk2 not so much but that's to be expected.

    Just look at the Mint themes, they're very clean and professional.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    well one interesting thing wayland can allow and CSD is/could be part of the idea is that every toolkit can share a single UX style later of course if everyone agrees, at least for the basic common widgets and share a common theming engine and even later you could set from an app which style you want.

    nobody is working on this yet but the idea is possible at least in Qt where you can just inherit QWidget base class and implement your own render paths, ofc the main point would be do this through an external library [libwidgets.so] that render the this widgets reading CSS/Qml/others?? theme from the parser in libtheme.so that read the file/designer with realtime/both? using EGL/GLES or pixmap/cairo directly to the wayland surface required by the client app in a previous step. If this is doable too in GTK+ then qt/gtk can share a common UX theme and if you can set some sort of usability standard in freedesktop that both respect, it could become seamless which toolkit the app end up using or which DE you are using it from.

    In theory QML will still work and allow you to exploit scenegraph since the theming is just an texture and QWidget still handle the backbone, in worst case you can set a boolean in qwidgets that allow you to ignore theme per widget in case you wanna customize some or all of your widgets.

    ofc don't expect this soon since i think will require a more deep look at all codebases to check if is possible to implement it in both and all parties will have to reach an agreement, etc

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    BS, Gtk3 has plenty of good looking themes. Gtk2 not so much but that's to be expected.

    Just look at the Mint themes, they're very clean and professional.
    Congratulations. You have the honor of being the first idiot in this thread to fall for the classic “ugly themes” troll. ;-)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Congratulations. You have the honor of being the first idiot in this thread to fall for the classic “ugly themes” troll. ;-)
    Congratulations, you have the social skills of a fungus... ;-)

    It's always tempting to dismiss contrary opinions as "trolling" but by doing so excessively, you risk insulating yourself from all contrary opinions, thus creating around you an echo chamber that denies you the possibility of being exposed to new ideas. In the worst case this leads to intellectual stagnation, in the best case just boredom on account of having no one to argue with.

    Personally, I feel it best to reserve the label of "troll" to those who are very obviously and blatantly posting ridiculous things with the purpose of getting an emotional response from people, who also have a history of ignoring facts and counterarguments, and refusing to engage in any real discourse - people like BO$$, for example. When it comes to ambiguous cases, or people that I haven't seen posting enough to really know for sure, I'd much rather give people the benefit of doubt and assume they are acting bona fide and being sincere. Either I'm right and it has the potential to lead to interesting discussion or debate, or I'm wrong and - what, some mental midget somewhere gets to giggle at their monitor going "hee hee, I got that guy to believe I actually think X because I said X, aren't I clever"... oh noes, what a tragedy. So what do I really have to lose?

    You could also think of it this way - trolling is kind of like terrorism. When you stop engaging people due to the fear of being trolled, the trolls have already won...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bordeaux, France
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    I'm not impressed with this shell. Its no way near user-ready. Its just a pet project because someone was bored waiting for gnome and kde to get thier DE's ready for wayland. Once gnome and kde get their DE's to wayland, I bet $5 that this project will be discontinued.

    NOTE: I'm bored to tears waiting for wayland to be finished as well.
    Main difference is that it is mostly written in QML. Last time I checked it, touchscreen didn't work, but when it will, it's gonna be a joy to use on a transformer book.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    The truth must hurt. You would do anything to ignore it, even call other people Bo$$ just so you don't have to read and comprehend what they say. Nice way to refuse to deal with reality what can I say!
    Bo$$, real talk.

    You've consistently shown to ignore all evidence presented to you that doesn't support your purported views, to be intellectually dishonest in any conversation, and to write posts with the express intent of antagonizing other posters. I've concluded that as you've found yourself unable to convince anyone of the validity of your ridiculous claims, you've degenerated into plain old reactionary trolling (which everyone pretty much ignores now, apart from some newer forum goers).

    The post I responded to was reminiscent of your style of "argumentation" (scare quotes, because your arguments are only halfway coherent at best, even when you bother making them) in this regard, which lead to my humorous remark of the possibility of the poster in question being you in disguise. Although do note, for what it's worth, that no one can quite come close to the level of ridiculousness inherent in your posts. Please don't take it personally... it's just that you are very, very stupid and annoying, and pretty much everyone here is tired of reading your repetitive drivel.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Yes, drivel, except I said that Ubuntu is the most popular distro and it has proven to be. Now of course we are going to ignore that. Hell even on phoronix it seems that Ubuntu is pretty popular (if you ignore that obvious troll voting for Arch Linux). All those go to show that since Ubuntu is used on a lot of PC using Linux, Mir will also be pretty popular. But of course you hate Mir and would never want to hear those arguments. Mir will simply dominate because it comes in Ubuntu. It will also get more testing on the desktop, again because Ubuntu is popular. All these lead to the facts that Mir is already moving faster than Wayland, will be used in the next version of Ubuntu and it will be pretty damn good. Everybody will use it, doesn't matter if you like it or not. Wayland is just too slow and Canonical came in and stole the show. Of course in both cases, either Wayland or Mir, I have my doubts that the linux desktop will become so great to dethrone Windows, which is why I keep telling people how far behind they are in some major areas, compared to Microsoft. Then again, the truth hurts, so it's easier to label me as a troll. Canonical is the only company that can move something in the Linux world when it comes to Linux desktop. Which is kind of sad, especially when everybody and their brother says they are committed to dethroning Windows.

    Plus, for somebody new to Linux, visiting this forum will lead to the impression that Canonical is a satanic beast that must be destroyed, so somebody has to present some facts that will lead to a more balanced view. The haters are too vocal, even if they are in minority. A little, ignore minority.
    Warning - massive straw man alert! Watch out for that thing and be careful, everybody.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •