Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Initial Radeon Driver Changes For Linux 3.12

Phoronix: AMD's Initial Radeon Driver Changes For Linux 3.12

The Linux 3.11 kernel is still weeks away from being released, but already AMD's Alex Deucher has begun queuing up changes for their open-source Radeon driver for the Linux 3.12 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's also Crossfire.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      There's also Crossfire.
      for a second I understood your post not that this feature is still missing, but that this code push would have it anyways since about kernel 2.6.26 or so I keep telling myself I am never gonna need newer kernel and almost every time they keep adding stuff that makes me jump to the newer release

Comment

Open Source Crossfire

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        There's also Crossfire.
        Yeah, I have been wondering about that too. What is the state of Crossfire support for the open source drivers?

Comment

There isn't really any magic to crossfire. You just have split work between two gpus in the 3D driver. If anyone is interested, they could start playing with it. Support for the crossfire connectors are just an optimization and are not required for an implementation; in fact a number of crossfire scenarios don't use them at all.

Comment

Radeonsi HDMI audio support? That's really the last feature I miss to declare my HD7850 fully functional on Linux, the rest is only gradual improvement (OpenGL) or performance optimizations.

Anyway, a thousand thanks to all AMD developers and whoever ever contributed to the free drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
              Radeonsi HDMI audio support? That's really the last feature I miss to declare my HD7850 fully functional on Linux, the rest is only gradual improvement (OpenGL) or performance optimizations.

Anyway, a thousand thanks to all AMD developers and whoever ever contributed to the free drivers!
              Thanks for the flowers, and yes we are working on HDMI for newer chips as well. You could ping Rafał <[email protected]>, I think he has most of the stuff already reverse engineered.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                There isn't really any magic to crossfire. You just have split work between two gpus in the 3D driver. If anyone is interested, they could start playing with it. Support for the crossfire connectors are just an optimization and are not required for an implementation; in fact a number of crossfire scenarios don't use them at all.
                Easier said than done, at least in terms of making it effective. Why do you think it took so long to eliminate micro stuttering?

Either way, CF is what I'm waiting for until I ditch catalyst. While the extra performance would be nice, the most demanding game I own on linux is Trine 2, which I'm sure would play at acceptable frame rates on the open source drivers (assuming it works). I'm considering switching anyway, as there are experiments I'd like to perform with QEMU's GPU passthrough support and the radeon drivers would make this a smoother process than catalyst, at least on my particular setup (enabling IOMMU in the BIOS causes CF issues).

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  As far as architecture isn't the two only necessary pieces basically DMA-BUF and DMA-Sync? BUF to handle both graphics cards submitting to the same buffer, and Sync to make sure they are stay well...in sync? As well as a recent Xorg to handle multiple video cards / drivers (Obviously after the architecture is in place the driver needs to support it, but thats not 'architecture' thats implementation)
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    As far as architecture isn't the two only necessary pieces basically DMA-BUF and DMA-Sync? BUF to handle both graphics cards submitting to the same buffer, and Sync to make sure they are stay well...in sync? As well as a recent Xorg to handle multiple video cards / drivers (Obviously after the architecture is in place the driver needs to support it, but thats not 'architecture' thats implementation)
                    That's basically it. You could either use common infrastrucure like dmabuf or driver specific hacks that accomplish the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X