Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.11 Released With Its Early KWin Wayland Code

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    None of which will be released at the same time. It won't even be the case that all applications will be ported to Qt5/KF5 simultaneously.
    well KDE SC bundled app will be, you won't release KF5 and say kwin comes later or kate next month but certainly external apps like kdenlive or calligra or amarok, etc can take more time to be fully migrated.

hopefully by then you can use X11 and mix the apps or XWayland should have reached upstream so you can still use your KDE SC 4 apps through XWayland until the full migration is done

Honsetly, migrating from Qt4 to Qt5 is like changing some include names, and checking for the few deprecated functions.

I just hope they were not using legacy Qt3 code xD

None of which will be released at the same time. It won't even be the case that all applications will be ported to Qt5/KF5 simultaneously.
    AFAIK when KF5 is ready, you will be able to compile an existing KDE4 app against Qt5/KF5/KDE4Support with minimal code adjustments. The only KDE app that really needed major adjustments to be ready for KF5 is KWin, and you are already seeing that work, if you have KDE 4.11 installed.

Quote Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Honsetly, migrating from Qt4 to Qt5 is like changing some include names, and checking for the few deprecated functions.

I just hope they were not using legacy Qt3 code xD
    Don't worry, anything using KDE3Support will be rewritten or killed with fire by the time KF5 is out.

There are still problems with catalyst driver [3D effects] ?

Default Wayland

The Wayland support sounds exciting!
    XCB sounds good too!

I hope they make the user experience better too. Less cluttered. Less clicks. More relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    AFAIK when KF5 is ready, you will be able to compile an existing KDE4 app against Qt5/KF5/KDE4Support with minimal code adjustments. […] anything using KDE3Support will be rewritten or killed with fire by the time KF5 is out
    So what is it? Make up your mind.
    There are still applications using KDE3Support. Granted, not many, but they are there and their porting process will take longer.
    At least Juk is currently not completely ported away from KDE3Support: http://community.kde.org/Juk#Porting_plan

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I hope they make the user experience better too. Less cluttered. Less clicks. More relevant.
    4.11 looks and feels almost exactly the same as 4.10, so no. However as part of the KLyDE project at least System Settings will be cleaned up.

No idea where you are clicking all the time anyway…

So what is it? Make up your mind.
    There are still applications using KDE3Support. Granted, not many, but they are there and their porting process will take longer.
    At least Juk is currently not completely ported away from KDE3Support: http://community.kde.org/Juk#Porting_plan
    Nothing against Juk but: maybe cause no one is interested in him? I think nearly everybody uses a player like Amarok or mpd.
    Juk is to slow if you have large music collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    Nothing against Juk but: maybe cause no one is interested in him? I think nearly everybody uses a player like Amarok or mpd.
    Juk is to slow if you have large music collections.
    I like juk, nice and simple interface, but yeah it is way too slow with large collections