Fedora 20 Goes For No Default Sendmail, Syslog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tron_ston
    The Unix way is obsolete. It's what holds Linux back and it's the reason why UNIX and BSD are dying. To continue to succeed in the future, Linux must get rid of the vestiges of UNIX.

Following the UNIX principle made the early development of Linux manageable with such a small number of developers. But now there are many developers and Linux is being used seriously.
    I always laugh when I read stuff like this.

On the one hand we hear endlessly about how Linux has conquered the entire universe and is in everything from supercomputers to toasters. Then on the other hand we hear that Linux will go nowhere unless it's as moronic as Windows 95 (and I see there is a lot of push lately to make Linux as idiotic as possible, whether it's from RH or Canonical).

I'll just put it out there: if you're going for desktop share, then, no -- none of all these new fad projects are going to make Linux any more profitable on the desktop.

edit: and lol @ Fedora as anything other than a testbed for RHEL.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I'll just put it out there: if you're going for desktop share, then, no -- none of all these new fad projects are going to make Linux any more profitable on the desktop. edit: and lol @ Fedora as anything other than a testbed for RHEL.
      If you notice, who is funding these projects, you would note that it has not much to do with the desktop. systemd is far more widely deployed on embedded systems than for desktop as an example. Also Fedora is used as more than a testbed in a wide variety of places. I just attended flock - fedora conference where there were atleast three different major organizations including Yahoo! deploying Fedora in developer workstations in several thousands of systems in part to get them ahead of the curve and be able to participate early on where enterprise linux is heading towards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQzm1qoc2XA

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        I just attended flock - fedora conference where there were atleast three different major organizations including Yahoo! deploying Fedora in developer workstations in several thousands of systems in part to get them ahead of the curve and be able to participate early on where enterprise linux is heading towards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQzm1qoc2XA
        Maybe I am missing something here, but doesn't that mean that Yahoo uses Fedora because it is the testbed for the largest enterprise distro? How should they get ahead of the curve and participate early on where enterprise Linux is heading towards if this would not be the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
          Maybe I am missing something here, but doesn't that mean that Yahoo uses Fedora because it is the testbed for the largest enterprise distro? How should they get ahead of the curve and participate early on where enterprise Linux is heading towards if this would not be the case?
          RHEL 7 will be based on Fedora 19 Connect the dots people

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Let me expand on it a bit more then. They use Fedora in part because it is upstream for Red Hat Enterprise Linux but also because it has a faster lifecycle and is usable as a workstation or in the cloud (while allowing them to share the typical RPM based infrastructure including kickstart etc) where the slower lifecycle of EL isn't necessarily a good fit. This is why calling it *just* a test bed is misleading because Fedora serves a wide variety of users and includes a enormous number of packages (roughly 3k in EL vs over 14k in Fedora) maintained in a large part by hundreds of volunteers. I know contributors whose only interest in Fedora is *gaming* for instance. They could care less about enterprise linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              Faster boot.
              Waiting few more seconds once every few month is a huge gain.. not.
              Reading corrupted binary log would be a really cool experience too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
                Waiting few more seconds once every few month is a huge gain.. not. Reading corrupted binary log would be a really cool experience too.
                There are enterprise customers who depend on a fast boot inorder to create virtual instances on demand. More than a few seconds is an expensive thing for them. Also, binary logs have existed in Unix for a long long time. C.f utmp. Large amount of configuration is stored in binary databases often as well. Ex: LDAP

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                  Oh so you prefer slower boot/shutdown AND a less verbose, unindexed log -in corrupted plain text ofc. How about I throw in a pair of MC Hammer pants? you seem to prefer the old shitty days.
                  I refer BSD style SysV init, very easy to adapt and optimize. Why in your world old means shitty is beyond my understanding

Comment

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
                    Waiting few more seconds once every few month is a huge gain.. not.
                    Reading corrupted binary log would be a really cool experience too.
                    Systemd has far more features and advantages than just 'faster boot'.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                      Systemd journal is crap. Storing logs in binary format means breaking UNIX principles and making sysadmin's job harder. RedHat used to have a clue but it seems they've completely lost touch with reality by now. Much like Canonical.
                      Amen! Thank g-d there are a few distros staying way from the SystemD crapfest.

Comment

Working...
                      X