Thread: Intel's OpenCL Beignet Project Is Gaining Ground

Hybrid View

Default Intel's OpenCL Beignet Project Is Gaining Ground

Phoronix: Intel's OpenCL Beignet Project Is Gaining Ground

Beignet is the controversial project to provide OpenCL/GPGPU support for modern Intel GPUs on Linux. Since the first Beignet release in April, this open-source Intel OpenCL project has been making lots of progress...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzOTI

Default Beignet reminds me a lot of Mir

Just in terms of the sheer, "we don't like upstream so we're going to reimplement everything from scratch" NIH syndromeness.

At least this project will still have the same OpenCL API that apps can all share. I'm half surprised they aren't making their own incompatible API that will "better fit Intel hardware".

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I'm half surprised they aren't making their own incompatible API that will "better fit Intel hardware".
    They are aware such approach would only alienate developers, since they'd need to support yet another back-end for their software. Otherwise, they might follow that path (for example, if they were the ones drawing the path to follow, instead of just another walker on such path, like they do on other areas creating their own instruction sets everyone else has to follow to be compatible).
    Also, I don't think it's a matter of not liking upstream (even if upstream would be perfect for them, I think they'd avoid it) but rather trying not to benefit their competitors from their work, partially (and only partially) killing the idea of open source development. Kind of what Mir with GPLv3 tries to do, IMO.
    I do like them for focusing on free drivers, though.

Default Argh

This seems so stupid...
    Why can't they just develop for Gallium3D instead?

Question

Can you even use MESA driver with Galium3D? Can you mix different GPU driver with another one for OpenCL?

Oh, noes!!1!1 INTEL IS NOT GNU/LINUX!!!!1!!111 </s>

Seriously, what isn't controversial in Linux?

Just in terms of the sheer, "we don't like upstream so we're going to reimplement everything from scratch" NIH syndromeness.
    If Intel does not like Gallium3D for whatever reason, then they are free to write their own things. This is no better or worse than Ubuntu with Mir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redi44 View Post
    Can you even use MESA driver with Galium3D? Can you mix different GPU driver with another one for OpenCL?
    To find out, try to run beignet with the ilo driver. Then report the results here.
    Last edited by chithanh; 08-18-2013 at 11:01 AM.

At least this project will still have the same OpenCL API that apps can all share. I'm half surprised they aren't making their own incompatible API that will "better fit Intel hardware".
    Have you ever been involved with a project being out-sourced to india/china? If so, you would understand why the India/China team does not want to work with anybody outside of their team. Outsourcing firms are not "community" developers.

The best programmers in India/China have the absolute worst English I've ever heard and they can't say much more than Hello and Bye in video conferences. They can't read anything more complicated than Dr. Seuss and so they need to have a translator/spokesman for communication.

That's why they have a go-between to do all the communications. Expecting an outsourced India/China team to work together with an Open Source community like Mesa/Gallium that speaks English at such a high level? Not going to happen on the money they're getting paid to do the project. The spokesman/translator is often a linguist who understands absolutely nothing of source code and can become a big problem for communicating anything more than very specific requirements and specifications.

If Intel implemented OpenCL using Gallium, they would have to work closely with other Gallium devs.

Getting an outsourced team to work together with Gallium devs would be a lot more expensive than letting the outsourced team work on their own from very specific requirements and specifications and then just merging it in without using Gallium at all.

Of course Intel is going to keep the work that absolutely needs to be coordinated with the open source community in-house instead of out-sourcing it... And anything that can be developed separately, they'll out-source it to India/China for a tiny fraction of the development cost.. It's the wise thing to do from a business perspective, and it's exactly what they're doing.
    Last edited by Sidicas; 08-18-2013 at 10:05 PM.