Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Per-Session Display Configuration For Mir Has Landed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,348

    Default Per-Session Display Configuration For Mir Has Landed

    Phoronix: Per-Session Display Configuration For Mir Has Landed

    We know that a lot of Mir improvements/features should land this week with the Ubuntu 13.10 feature freeze being imminent. The first Bazaar commit this week to the Mir Display Server has added in support for per-session display configuration...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0MDA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    46

    Default

    This means that the desktop resolution will come back to normal when, for example, a game set to a custom one crashes?

    If I understood correctly, that's awesome

    I *think* Wayland already have a similar mechanism, so it's great those problems will definitely die with X.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    92

    Default Good Question Malizor

    Quote Originally Posted by Malizor View Post
    This means that the desktop resolution will come back to normal when, for example, a game set to a custom one crashes?

    If I understood correctly, that's awesome

    I *think* Wayland already have a similar mechanism, so it's great those problems will definitely die with X.
    One of the most annoying problems in X... Do you know the name of that feature in Wayland?

    Obs.: It is very good Mir corrected this, just imagine you with your Ubuntu Edge and by some reason a game crashes and you cannot see the complete menu to adjust a new resolution :O

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malizor View Post
    This means that the desktop resolution will come back to normal when, for example, a game set to a custom one crashes?

    If I understood correctly, that's awesome

    I *think* Wayland already have a similar mechanism, so it's great those problems will definitely die with X.
    Thank God!


    Quote Originally Posted by rudregues View Post
    One of the most annoying problems in X... Do you know the name of that feature in Wayland?

    Obs.: It is very good Mir corrected this, just imagine you with your Ubuntu Edge and by some reason a game crashes and you cannot see the complete menu to adjust a new resolution :O
    It would be a disaster on a mobile if the screen resolution was screwed up. It would be impossible to fix the problem with such a screen resolution dependent interface. How does android deal with this problem? Similar to the Mir/Wayland method?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    Who cares about what Mir does? It's just going to fail and be replaced with Wayland eventually, when Canonical notices that no one wants their display server, and it's way too much trouble to maintain than they are capable of...

    Right now, they're just too invested in their little pet project, they've hyped it so much that they can't back out now without "losing face" (or hurting Shuttleworth's ego), so they have to stick to their guns, hope the noise dies down, and later on quietly move back to Wayland with their tail between their legs... Wayland will be used by everyone else, and Ubuntu will eventually be forced to follow suit in order to even remain relevant.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Who cares about what Mir does?
    You oviously...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Who cares about what Mir does? It's just going to fail and be replaced with Wayland eventually, when Canonical notices that no one wants their display server, and it's way too much trouble to maintain than they are capable of...

    Right now, they're just too invested in their little pet project, they've hyped it so much that they can't back out now without "losing face" (or hurting Shuttleworth's ego), so they have to stick to their guns, hope the noise dies down, and later on quietly move back to Wayland with their tail between their legs... Wayland will be used by everyone else, and Ubuntu will eventually be forced to follow suit in order to even remain relevant.
    See what happened with Upstart.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    How does android deal with this problem? Similar to the Mir/Wayland method?
    I don't think it lets applications change the resolution. It doesn't even let users change it without root.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    See what happened with Upstart.
    It got picked up by RedHat and Oracle the too biggest Linux server companies in the world?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    It got picked up by RedHat and Oracle the too biggest Linux server companies in the world?
    google uses upstart if im not mistaken...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •