Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

Hybrid View

Default Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

Phoronix: Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

Now that Mir is living in the Ubuntu 13.10 archive, new Phoronix benchmarks have been conducted to look at the current performance impact of routing the graphics through XMir rather than running an X.Org Server directly on Ubuntu Linux. For this latest XMir testing, the System76 Gazelle Professional laptop with an Intel Core i7 "Haswell" CPU sporting Intel HD Graphics was benchmarked for 2D and 3D environments.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19045

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

Now that Mir is living in the Ubuntu 13.10 archive, new Phoronix benchmarks have been conducted to look at the current performance impact of routing the graphics through XMir rather than running an X.Org Server directly on Ubuntu Linux. For this latest XMir testing, the System76 Gazelle Professional laptop with an Intel Core i7 "Haswell" CPU sporting Intel HD Graphics was benchmarked for 2D and 3D environments.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19045
    You do realize that xmir is not mir, right? It's a temporary kludge for compatibility. What I am really looking forward to seeing is benchmarks of straight up mir. That ought to be quite snappy compared to xorg.

Who need games after all, if you got such a wonderful invention like Mir is.

Quote Originally Posted by david_lynch View Post
    You do realize that xmir is not mir, right? It's a temporary kludge for compatibility. What I am really looking forward to seeing is benchmarks of straight up mir. That ought to be quite snappy compared to xorg.
    That would require having a working native Mir desktop in the first place and all toolkits being ported to it. It's targeted for 14.10. 13.10 and 14.04 will rely on XMir entirely. That's quite a long time and a lot of people will stay on 14.04 which is LTS I think.
    Last edited by blackout23; 08-18-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    That would require having a working native Mir desktop in the first place and all toolkits being ported to it. It's targeted for 14.10. 13.10 and 14.04 will rely on XMir entirely. That's quite a long time and a lot of people will stay on 14.04 which is LTS I think.
    Some birds told me that Unity 8 and Mir will be backported to 14.04.1 or 14.04.2 when it is released and appears to be stable(14.10 will be the "beta" for it).

Quote Originally Posted by sacridex View Post
    Some birds told me that Unity 8 and Mir will be backported to 14.04.1 or 14.04.2 when it is released and appears to be stable(14.10 will be the "beta" for it).
    Unity 8 is only the Phone Shell at the moment. The shell alone won't help you much anyway since all apps would run on XMir anyway as long as there is no toolkit support for Mir. At the moment a Unity 8 Shell with native QtUbuntu apps and legacy X apps through XMir wouldn't work either, since XMir doesn't provide rootless X windows but a fullscreen X server.

Quote Originally Posted by david_lynch View Post
    Do you realize that the ubuntu users will run upon Xmir and not mir for the next release, right?
    Then the article makes perfectly sense and nope, it's not a temporary kludge, it's a stupid thing made by stupid people to force their user base to became an unwanted beta testers until they will install the binary blob (more or less two minutes after the OS installation). In that case they fall back to X and do not provide any feedback to the idiots.
    Without the feedback and bug report the whole idea of run ubuntu upon XMir makes no sense at all.

At least with Intel Haswell graphics it's great hardware backed by a decent open-source graphics driver. For slower GPUs and worse driver scenarios (e.g. Nouveau without re-clocking), the slower XMir performance could simply cripple the system from delivering usable frame-rates.
    Err dude, I hope you do realise that 1) Mir does not have the "unredirect dullscreen windows" option and 2) nouveau does not deliver usable frame-rates for anything else than a composited desktop.

Default lol

normal since xmir/mir is alpha yet

Quote Originally Posted by Andrecorreia View Post
    normal since xmir/mir is alpha yet
    So alpha it will be production-ready in two months, according to Canonical's plans.