Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,914

    Default Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

    Phoronix: Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

    Now that Mir is living in the Ubuntu 13.10 archive, new Phoronix benchmarks have been conducted to look at the current performance impact of routing the graphics through XMir rather than running an X.Org Server directly on Ubuntu Linux. For this latest XMir testing, the System76 Gazelle Professional laptop with an Intel Core i7 "Haswell" CPU sporting Intel HD Graphics was benchmarked for 2D and 3D environments.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19045

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

    Now that Mir is living in the Ubuntu 13.10 archive, new Phoronix benchmarks have been conducted to look at the current performance impact of routing the graphics through XMir rather than running an X.Org Server directly on Ubuntu Linux. For this latest XMir testing, the System76 Gazelle Professional laptop with an Intel Core i7 "Haswell" CPU sporting Intel HD Graphics was benchmarked for 2D and 3D environments.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19045
    You do realize that xmir is not mir, right? It's a temporary kludge for compatibility. What I am really looking forward to seeing is benchmarks of straight up mir. That ought to be quite snappy compared to xorg.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Who need games after all, if you got such a wonderful invention like Mir is.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david_lynch View Post
    You do realize that xmir is not mir, right? It's a temporary kludge for compatibility. What I am really looking forward to seeing is benchmarks of straight up mir. That ought to be quite snappy compared to xorg.
    That would require having a working native Mir desktop in the first place and all toolkits being ported to it. It's targeted for 14.10. 13.10 and 14.04 will rely on XMir entirely. That's quite a long time and a lot of people will stay on 14.04 which is LTS I think.
    Last edited by blackout23; 08-18-2013 at 01:34 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    That would require having a working native Mir desktop in the first place and all toolkits being ported to it. It's targeted for 14.10. 13.10 and 14.04 will rely on XMir entirely. That's quite a long time and a lot of people will stay on 14.04 which is LTS I think.
    Some birds told me that Unity 8 and Mir will be backported to 14.04.1 or 14.04.2 when it is released and appears to be stable(14.10 will be the "beta" for it).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sacridex View Post
    Some birds told me that Unity 8 and Mir will be backported to 14.04.1 or 14.04.2 when it is released and appears to be stable(14.10 will be the "beta" for it).
    Unity 8 is only the Phone Shell at the moment. The shell alone won't help you much anyway since all apps would run on XMir anyway as long as there is no toolkit support for Mir. At the moment a Unity 8 Shell with native QtUbuntu apps and legacy X apps through XMir wouldn't work either, since XMir doesn't provide rootless X windows but a fullscreen X server.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david_lynch View Post
    You do realize that xmir is not mir, right? It's a temporary kludge for compatibility. What I am really looking forward to seeing is benchmarks of straight up mir. That ought to be quite snappy compared to xorg.
    Do you realize that the ubuntu users will run upon Xmir and not mir for the next release, right?
    Then the article makes perfectly sense and nope, it's not a temporary kludge, it's a stupid thing made by stupid people to force their user base to became an unwanted beta testers until they will install the binary blob (more or less two minutes after the OS installation). In that case they fall back to X and do not provide any feedback to the idiots.
    Without the feedback and bug report the whole idea of run ubuntu upon XMir makes no sense at all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    At least with Intel Haswell graphics it's great hardware backed by a decent open-source graphics driver. For slower GPUs and worse driver scenarios (e.g. Nouveau without re-clocking), the slower XMir performance could simply cripple the system from delivering usable frame-rates.
    Err dude, I hope you do realise that 1) Mir does not have the "unredirect dullscreen windows" option and 2) nouveau does not deliver usable frame-rates for anything else than a composited desktop.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default lol

    normal since xmir/mir is alpha yet

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrecorreia View Post
    normal since xmir/mir is alpha yet
    So alpha it will be production-ready in two months, according to Canonical's plans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •