Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

Quote Originally Posted by ickle View Post
    No. It will only be as good as X. There seems to be a misconception here that X itself is a bottleneck...
    is it not?
    how else would one explain that a movie or game is first watchable or playable in fullscreen?

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    That would require having a working native Mir desktop in the first place and all toolkits being ported to it. It's targeted for 14.10. 13.10 and 14.04 will rely on XMir entirely. That's quite a long time and a lot of people will stay on 14.04 which is LTS I think.
    Some birds told me that Unity 8 and Mir will be backported to 14.04.1 or 14.04.2 when it is released and appears to be stable(14.10 will be the "beta" for it).

Is it stable though?

Quote Originally Posted by sacridex View Post
    Some birds told me that Unity 8 and Mir will be backported to 14.04.1 or 14.04.2 when it is released and appears to be stable(14.10 will be the "beta" for it).
    Unity 8 is only the Phone Shell at the moment. The shell alone won't help you much anyway since all apps would run on XMir anyway as long as there is no toolkit support for Mir. At the moment a Unity 8 Shell with native QtUbuntu apps and legacy X apps through XMir wouldn't work either, since XMir doesn't provide rootless X windows but a fullscreen X server.

Quote Originally Posted by david_lynch View Post
    You do realize that xmir is not mir, right? It's a temporary kludge for compatibility. What I am really looking forward to seeing is benchmarks of straight up mir. That ought to be quite snappy compared to xorg.
    It's a temporary kludge until Mir is useful to anyone, not for compatibility. If compatibility was the main issue, then they'd just use X.

Quote Originally Posted by jakubo View Post
    is it not?
    how else would one explain that a movie or game is first watchable or playable in fullscreen?
    You already answered it. The benchmarks are being done with fullscreen apps. Fullscreen, in most cases, implies DRI, which at the same time implies bypassing any display server and just working on DRI. So, Mir, for fullscreen, can aspire to just not be in the way between the app and DRI, and that means the same performance you get with X. That's valid for fullscreen on Wayland, too. Where you could get considerably better performance is in windowed apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrecorreia View Post
    normal since xmir/mir is alpha yet
    So alpha it will be production-ready in two months, according to Canonical's plans.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    yeah but you know things happen

"Matthew Garrett
    The more I look at the Mir VT switching code, the more I realise that Canonical have no fucking idea what they're doing."
    Matthew Garrett is an authority because.... ?

Well, I'm a Mir user right now, because of one reason. Xorg developers seemingly have no idea how to make suspend working. Every kernel and Xorg update is a russian roulette - suspend sometimes work, sometimes not. When I switch to Mir everything runs just fine. Now I'm waiting for the next week's release - unredirect fullscreen windows and multimonitor support will be on place. Then I'll say goodbye to crappy XServer, which messed up everything for years. Of course I will be using Xmir, but X won't have anything to mess up with hardware. That's something I like. Waiting for Unity 8...

PS. I have Sandy Bridge laptop so it's a SHAME not to have really working suspend since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Siekacz View Post
    Well, I'm a Mir user right now, because of one reason. Xorg developers seemingly have no idea how to make suspend working. Every kernel and Xorg update is a russian roulette - suspend sometimes work, sometimes not. When I switch to Mir everything runs just fine. Now I'm waiting for the next week's release - unredirect fullscreen windows and multimonitor support will be on place. Then I'll say goodbye to crappy XServer, which messed up everything for years. Of course I will be using Xmir, but X won't have anything to mess up with hardware. That's something I like. Waiting for Unity 8...

PS. I have Sandy Bridge laptop so it's a SHAME not to have really working suspend since 2011.
    It's funny that you think you are leaving behind X.org with XMir, as the XMir on Mir combo uses the X.org drivers for acceleration. XMir is a patch set to make X.org render into a Mir system compositor window. Good ol' X.org is still handling 99% of your graphics under XMir.

October 2014 is Canonical's make or break moment with native Mir, before that it is a lot of smoke and mirrors with XMir trying to hide X.org in plain sight.

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_trip View Post
    It's funny that you think you are leaving behind X.org with XMir, as the XMir on Mir combo uses the X.org drivers for acceleration. XMir is a patch set to make X.org render into a Mir system compositor window. Good ol' X.org is still handling 99% of your graphics under XMir.

October 2014 is Canonical's make or break moment with native Mir, before that it is a lot of smoke and mirrors with XMir trying to hide X.org in plain sight.
    With Xmir Xorg has nothing to do with hardware. Of course it still is there, but it in a "safe cage" - won't mess up everything anymore.