Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,613

    Default Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

    There's only two and a half days left to Canonical's Ubuntu Edge crowd-funding campaign for building a high-end smart-phone running Ubuntu. Unfortunately, the campaign is still about twenty million dollars short of its $32M goal...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzOTg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    739

    Default

    The funny thing is that there are still some delusional fanboys that post comments like "They can still make it!". Don't know if I should laugh or cry at this level of fanboyism.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    This campaign isnt going to reach it's goal, but I suspect Shuttleworth will fork up the money to begin production anyway.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    The funny thing is that there are still some delusional fanboys that post comments like "They can still make it!". Don't know if I should laugh or cry at this level of fanboyism.
    because they can
    because all that has to happen is shuttleworth fund the rest himself(which would result in a net profit gain after indiegogo takes their cut)
    you realize how much shuttleworth is worth, right?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    because they can
    because all that has to happen is shuttleworth fund the rest himself(which would result in a net profit gain after indiegogo takes their cut)
    you realize how much shuttleworth is worth, right?
    Yeah to bad he already said during the reddit IAMA that he won't do it since it would totally miss the point of the campaign. So it's just delusional fanboys being totally irrational as always.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Yeah to bad he already said during the reddit IAMA that he won't do it since it would totally miss the point of the campaign.
    shuttleworth has never been known to lie
    ever

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Oh it's still possible, but only if some big players jump in and buy the crap out of it.

    Also if they extend the campaign by a month or two they could make it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    They would have to spend 20mill in advertizing before this campaign would it it's goal. Or they can just let it expire and Shuttleworth can foot the bill. I suspect the latter is what will happen. I have no doubt this product will be made one way or another.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Let's check the math here. As of this post, they are at $11,418,993. That leaves $20,581,007. There are 65 hours left. That means they need to get at least $316,630.88/hour, or 456 phones/hour, on average. That is about 1 phone every 8 seconds, if my math is correct.

    Even if we assume all of the enterprise kits are sold (1 of 50 has been sold so far), they still have to make an additional $16,661,007, or 368 phones/hour.

    By comparison, they made about $7 million in their first week. Even if we assume they all sold at $600, that is still less than 70 phones/hour, less than 1/6 what they need.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akincer View Post
    Oh it's still possible, but only if some big players jump in and buy the crap out of it.

    Also if they extend the campaign by a month or two they could make it.
    Yeah which is totally makes sense to put millions into a failed campagign which wasn't successful on its own. If something fails it there's usually a reason for it. Extending it for 2 months just means people have to wait even longer for their unfinished product with unknown qualities, which makes it even more unlikely that people will back it.
    Last edited by blackout23; 08-19-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •