Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 88

Thread: Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    hella popular, huh? How many have they sold...?
    Don't know, but their special edition pre-order has apparently sold out.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    But yeah, a Wayland phone would probably be hella popular. Too bad no one's making one so we'll never know... oh wait. http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...red-By-Wayland
    Hella popular... Yeah, maybe there really are millions of hard core Linux enthusiasts out there who base their choice of phone on the display server that it comes with...

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Hella popular... Yeah, maybe there really are millions of hard core Linux enthusiasts out there who base their choice of phone on the display server that it comes with...
    Nope, but this is mostly because there aren't millions of Linux enthusiasts. Among those Linux enthusiast, the proportion who base their choice of phone on the Mir debacle is not negligible anymore.
    I've said it a dozen time already, but if you target a population as your market, only the characteristics of this population count.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Is it likely that Mark himself, through a company, will buy the rest of the phones in the last minute? He has to chip in almost $20M on his own, risking of sitting with a huge unsold inventory of phones that still does not exist. On the other hand he will receive those $12M already paid/donated, which he otherwise has to wave goodbye to.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loranga View Post
    Is it likely that Mark himself, through a company, will buy the rest of the phones in the last minute? He has to chip in almost $20M on his own, risking of sitting with a huge unsold inventory of phones that still does not exist. On the other hand he will receive those $12M already paid/donated, which he otherwise has to wave goodbye to.
    No, since he already said that he won't do that, because it misses the point of the campaign which was to show that there is demand for such a phone. Obviously there isn't demand. How many would use it as an actual desktop replacement anyway? You'd have to buy some docking shit first and carry it around if you want to use your phone somewhere else. Why should you use it like this at home? Everyone has a PC or Laptop which is many times more powerful than any mobile CPU that will be released in the coming months. No one really wants to have one device for everything, because that means you loose everything at once, too. KDEs idea of convergence is much better. Simply integrate the phone into the desktop over the air just like AirDroid does.
    Last edited by blackout23; 08-21-2013 at 07:06 AM.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

    Anyone who is anyone that reads ZDnet knows that this guy is beyond a Linux fanatic. He is the very definition of what it means to NOT help Linux grow in any way or form.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    Nope, but this is mostly because there aren't millions of Linux enthusiasts. Among those Linux enthusiast, the proportion who base their choice of phone on the Mir debacle is not negligible anymore.
    I've said it a dozen time already, but if you target a population as your market, only the characteristics of this population count.
    Prove it. If you are right that this campaign failed because Ubuntu is using Mir, then you can set up a "Wayland phone" Indiegogo campaign and raise $32 million. Just copy the Edge campaign but say that you will use Wayland instead of Mir. Should be easy. Obviously there are 50,000 fans who would fund a Wayland phone but not a Mir phone.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Prove it. If you are right that this campaign failed because Ubuntu is using Mir, then you can set up a "Wayland phone" Indiegogo campaign and raise $32 million. Just copy the Edge campaign but say that you will use Wayland instead of Mir. Should be easy. Obviously there are 50,000 fans who would fund a Wayland phone but not a Mir phone.
    Ah yes. Either it had zero impact, or it's the only thing that counted.
    In between is for the weak.

    What don't you get in "a portion of users", or "not negligible"?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    Ah yes. Either it had zero impact, or it's the only thing that counted.
    In between is for the weak.

    What don't you get in "a portion of users", or "not negligible"?
    There is no "in between" when it comes to the campaign. It either succeeds or fails. Yes or no. You asserted that it failed because some proportion of users did not support it because of Mir. That position implies that it would have succeeded if it used Wayland. On the other hand, if that is not your position, then you must conclude that the campaign would have failed even if they used Wayland, and hence the "negative contribution" of Mir to the campaign was negligible, as the campaign would have failed anyway due to other reasons.

    Basically I take issue with the assumptions that 50000 Linux users would preorder a phone that is twice the price of a Nexus 4, but two thirds decided not to because of Mir.
    "Among those Linux enthusiast, the proportion who base their choice of phone on the Mir debacle is not negligible anymore." - there is no evidence that this statement is true. It is much more likely that people were put off by the high price and unknown hardware and unknown future delivery date. But if you honestly do not believe that, then I encourage you to start your own campaign for a Manjaro/Mint phone. Nobody is forcing you to support Ubuntu.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    hella popular, huh? How many have they sold...?
    Preorders sold out, probably will sell a lot more once they release. Jolla is doing it right - they got their own OS running on their own hardware, they have the carriers, partners, investors etc. - everything Canonical still haven't been able to manage. Jolla is showing that it's not because it's too hard or impossible to bring a new Linux-based phone on the market, it can be done if you actually know what you're doing, and there's still plenty of growth potential left in the smartphone market, meaning a well-timed new brand can easily carve a niche in it. Of course, Jolla has the advantage of all the expertise of the people driven away from Nokia by the M$ coup...

    Seriously, I feel bad for Canonical - I'd love to have seen them succeed with their phone. But they made the entirely wrong moves, tried to imitate the big players (Android, Apple) too much, instead of taking advantage of their strengths. Instead of seeing the community as a strength, they went to the opposite direction, and shut away the community, trying to build their own little walled garden - while Jolla actually sees the community as an asset and knows how to utilize it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •