Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 88

Thread: Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Right now, it would require a phone sold every 7.8 seconds. There has been talk about extending the campaign.

    If enough large and mid-size players get on board buying the large enterprise bundle and the enterprise starter kit, then this project could succeed, but I do feel an extension of at least a month would be needed.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akincer View Post
    Also if they extend the campaign by a month or two they could make it.
    Indiegogo doesn't let you do that. The deadline cannot be changed.

    http://support.indiegogo.com/entries...mpaign-Is-Live

    What You CAN'T Edit After Your Campaign Is Live

    Your campaign's funding type
    Your campaign's "Verified Nonprofit Campaign" status
    Any perks that have been claimed by a contributor
    Your campaign's currency
    Your campaign's goal amount
    The date of your campaign's deadline
    (emphasis added)
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 08-19-2013 at 10:43 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Yeah which is totally makes sense to put millions into a failed campagign which wasn't successful on its own. If something fails it there's usually a reason for it. Extending it for 2 months just means people have to wait even longer for their unfinished product with unknown qualities, which makes it even more unlikely that people will back it.
    The major reason this project hasn't reached its goal is the sheer ambitiousness of the target. I mean we are talking about a target of over 3x the size of the previous crowd fundraising record.

    There's nothing that says that extending the campaign a month or two would necessarily delay the delivery slated for May of next year.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    254

    Default

    So three years ago they began to demolish (rather methodically and cruelly) everything nice and sane that was there in Ubuntu with one goal in mind: to get a slice of that tasty tablet/smartphone market pie. And they still don't have enough demand to even start making any such devices. The irony is sweet but justice is sweeter. :)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Indiegogo doesn't let you do that. The deadline cannot be changed.

    http://support.indiegogo.com/entries...mpaign-Is-Live
    It would be extremely retarded to extend the campaign anyway. It's not like no enough people don't know about the campaign after 30 days or haven't had enough time to deciede if they want to back it.

    The major reason this project hasn't reached its goal is the sheer ambitiousness of the target. I mean we are talking about a target of over 3x the size of the previous crowd fundraising record.

    There's nothing that says that extending the campaign a month or two would necessarily delay the delivery slated for May of next year.
    No the reason why it hasn't reached it's goal is because IT DOESN'T GET ENOUGH MONEY! People simply don't gamble with 700 USD to get an Android phone maybe sometime next year with likely delays, with totally unproven technology by a company that has never created hardware before.
    Last edited by blackout23; 08-19-2013 at 10:46 AM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Indiegogo doesn't let you do that. The deadline cannot be changed.

    http://support.indiegogo.com/entries...mpaign-Is-Live
    False:

    http://indiestatik.com/2013/05/08/indiegogo/

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    It would be extremely retarded to extend the campaign anyway. It's not like no enough people don't know about the campaign after 30 days or haven't had enough time to deciede if they want to back it.
    Some people (like myself) are saving up money in hopes they DO extend the campaign. I probably COULD fork out the money now if I wanted to dip into my emergency fund, but that's not what an emergency fund is for, so I'm saving.

    Also -- I wager there ARE people that would buy in that haven't heard about it yet. Not everyone that would consider purchasing one reads Phoronix or even follows tech news all that closely.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akincer View Post
    Some people (like myself) are saving up money in hopes they DO extend the campaign. I probably COULD fork out the money now if I wanted to dip into my emergency fund, but that's not what an emergency fund is for, so I'm saving.

    Also -- I wager there ARE people that would buy in that haven't heard about it yet. Not everyone that would consider purchasing one reads Phoronix or even follows tech news all that closely.
    It has been mentioned everywhere. Every tech blog even on tabloid news papers in Germany. It's the internet, information travels quickly and people who are tech enthusiats (the target group for this phone according to Mark himself) read these blogs.
    The rate of funding will genreally DECREASE over time, which is kind of logical. The rate of funding isn't really big to begin with and it would only get smaller. If they were missing 5 Million just 3 days before the campaign ends I could see them extending it for a week. 3 months? lol you got be kidding me.
    Last edited by blackout23; 08-19-2013 at 10:52 AM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    It has been mentioned everywhere. Every tech blog even on tabloid news papers in Germany. It's the internet, information travels quickly and people who are tech enthusiats (the target group for this phone according to Mark himself) read these blogs.
    The rate of funding will genreally DECREASE over time, which is kind of logical. The rate of funding isn't really big to begin with and it would only get smaller.
    I'm not doubting that the vast majority of "tech enthusiasts" that are likely to back it have already done so. I'm suggesting that despite the original target audience, there are lots of people that are somewhat tech enthusiasts that aren't plugged in reading about tech on a regular basis which WOULD be inclined to buy one.

    I mean one could argue that the S4 is almost a tech enthusiast phone and it hasn't had any trouble selling.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akincer View Post
    Some people (like myself) are saving up money in hopes they DO extend the campaign. I probably COULD fork out the money now if I wanted to dip into my emergency fund, but that's not what an emergency fund is for, so I'm saving.

    Also -- I wager there ARE people that would buy in that haven't heard about it yet. Not everyone that would consider purchasing one reads Phoronix or even follows tech news all that closely.
    Even if we assume that is true, the maximum a campaign can go is 60 days (assuming they don't break that rule, too). That means they have to make nearly twice as much in the next 30 days as they did in the previous 30 days.
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 08-19-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •