Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: radeon-profile: tool for changing profiles and monitoring some GPU parameters

Chris, I looked into your solution and pushed it into 'rp-prime' branch. Test it if you can, maybe it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by marazmista View Post
    Chris, I looked into your solution and pushed it into 'rp-prime' branch. Test it if you can, maybe it will work.
    Well, so far it does work, but disclaimer: I don't really know whether this is the correct usage of the DRI_PRIME variable.

Now the only thing that's left wrong is the "Driver: " output.
    Code:
        QStringList driver = grabSystemInfo("xdriinfo").filter("Screen 0:",Qt::CaseInsensitive);
        if (!driver.isEmpty())  // because of segfault when no xdriinfo
            data << "Driver:"+ driver.filter("Screen 0:",Qt::CaseInsensitive)[0].split(":",QString::SkipEmptyParts)[1];
    In case of PRIME the driver of the gpu that the x server is using to display stuff is not the same than the one that's used by radeon.

But that should be easy because when I start it with
    Code:
    DRI_PRIME=1 sudo -E ./radeon-profile
    then I get the correct driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Well, so far it does work, but disclaimer: I don't really know whether this is the correct usage of the DRI_PRIME variable.
    I found this (and forgot add it to my prev post): https://lekensteyn.nl/files/prime-instructions.txt
    At the bottom, in Test section is:
    Code:
    	glxinfo - should give Intel
    	DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo should give nvidia
    	DRI_PRIME=1 openarena should maybe work
    so I assume that if user want to run some application and use second graphic card, just pass DRI_PRIME and app use this instead what is set global in system. This variable is made for it, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    But that should be easy because when I start it with
    Code:
    DRI_PRIME=1 sudo -E ./radeon-profile
    then I get the correct driver.
    Ok, I modified it to pass DRI_PRIME to xdriinfo invoke just as it is done to glxinfo. I hope this will do the work, and finally I could merge it to master branch.

Yes, it's completely right now for me.

Quote Originally Posted by marazmista View Post
    I found this (and forgot add it to my prev post): https://lekensteyn.nl/files/prime-instructions.txt
    At the bottom, in Test section is:
    Code:
    	glxinfo - should give Intel
    	DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo should give nvidia
    	DRI_PRIME=1 openarena should maybe work
    so I assume that if user want to run some application and use second graphic card, just pass DRI_PRIME and app use this instead what is set global in system. This variable is made for it, isn't it?
    I meant the 1 in DRI_PRIME=1. What exactly does the 1 mean? Is it the Provider number you get when doing xrandr --listproviders? like "0" for "Provider 0: id: 0x82 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 9 associated providers: 1 name:Intel" because it says "Provider 0"? I'm not really sure and haven't found good documentation...

I merged it to master today.

Also, I added .desktop file to repository as requested some time ago. But I'm little confused what to put into 'Exec' section in this file. Since app need to be run as root 'sudo radeon-profile' works ok for me, but other users may use gksudo, pkexec... any suggestions?
    In this post mmstick posted little script for automatic installation radeon-profile in system. I modified it accordingly to handle .desktop file and icon:
    Code:
    ## Compile
    git clone https://github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile
    cd radeon-profile/radeon-profile
    qmake-qt4
    make
    ## Install
    sudo chmod +x radeon-profile
    sudo mv radeon-profile /usr/local/sbin/radeon-profile.bin
    sudo sh -c "echo 'gksudo /usr/local/sbin/radeon-profile.bin' > /usr/local/sbin/radeon-profile"
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/radeon-profile
    sudo mv extra/radeon-profile.png  /usr/share/pixmaps/radeon-profile.png
    sudo mv extra/radeon-profile.desktop /usr/share/applications/radeon-profile.desktop
    ## Cleanup
    cd ../../
    rm radeon-profile -R

Maybe it has been answered already, the tray icon does not show up on my panel. Using Xubuntu 13.10. Nice program by the way. Using it on my laptop's old x200m. Will latter try it on the HD7850 in my main rig.

My mistake, I forgot to update the icons paths when I modified resources. Now should be good, thanks for pointing that up.

Thank you. Works perfectly now.

Last edited by Melcar; 12-27-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Awesome, thank you!

Question

Is there a way for this to not be run as root aka sudo? I added myself to the kmem group(gives access to /dev/mem), but it didn't work.