Thread: X.Org Foundation Loses Its 501(c)(3) Status

Hybrid View

Default X.Org Foundation Loses Its 501(c)(3) Status

Phoronix: X.Org Foundation Loses Its 501(c)(3) Status

The X.Org Foundation has lost its 501(c)(3) non-profit status and is now seeking new options, including possibly joining a larger organization...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0MzU

Default I don't see why he is surprised

I was taken by surprize that the IRS hit us so rudely.
    What chu talkin about willis? We were warned about organizations like the IRS.

Among the 27 grievances of the Declaration of Independence, you see this: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
    They should consider themselves lucky, if they didn't get audited. That's where the real harassment begins.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 08-23-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Default why US?

come to europe US sucks

Dear Oracle Accountant,

I was surprised the teller wanted me to have funds in my banking account now instead of next week when I get paid too.

Get off your ass and do your job or hit the bricks. You have a year to get this crap in order and months to file. Dead beat corporations sponsoring any project whether FOSS or not should take note: do your damn job, non-profit or for profit.

Corporations should have stiffer penalties for being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Dear Oracle Accountant...
    AFAIK Stuart is not an "Oracle Accountant", he's an "Oracle Principal Software Engineer" who volunteered as X.Org treasurer.
    Last edited by bridgman; 08-23-2013 at 03:38 PM.

This is pretty appalling, especially given the foundation's profile in the free software and world.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    AFAIK Stuart is not an "Oracle Accountant", he's an "Oracle Principal Software Engineer" who volunteered as X.Org treasurer.
    That's the biggest problem! He can be a good engineer, but an horrible accountant. They need skilled people to manage the non-technical stuff, as this is a large project that needs promotion and get a lot more management. They need a proper website designer, too.

I hope Wayland could make things more dynamic and better, but a proper organization must be there.

Seriously, this smells a bit and they need to look at themselves. Despite IRS and such can be a nightmare, other NGOs related to Open/Free Source are there and work a lot better in many ways.

I would prefer a graphics-related umbrella organization that manages MESA too, that could be strong enough to even having a chair at organizations like Khronos Group. Something like Open Graphics Foundation

You decided to become a 501c while deciding that you were exempt from filing taxes as an LLC for 3 years... They're lucky that loosing their 501c status is all that is happening to them. Seriously you don't just skip out on something like this.

This is really sad.