Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Reported Steam Linux Use Still Right Around 1.0%

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,526

    Default Reported Steam Linux Use Still Right Around 1.0%

    Phoronix: Reported Steam Linux Use Still Right Around 1.0%

    With the start of a new month comes some new numbers out of Valve as part of their Steam hardware/software survey...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzMTk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    399

    Default

    I still don't get how this information is collected. Does the users answer to it manually? Why doesn't Valve not just automatically detect it when clients connect to the servers? I can chime in with the choir on "I've been running Steam every day for a couple of months now, and I've never seen that survey". But I've never seen it on Windows either, but I've only used Steam about 10 times on that platform.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    46

    Default

    so Ubuntu alone is bigger than all other +1000 distros combined?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Fascinating! So Linux isn't at around 24% as some of the delusional rabid Linux fans claim..... It's still exactly at 1%. Just like well, forever.
    there is a lack of games for linux because there is no a large userbase
    there is no a large user base because there is a lack of games

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default Biassed, biassed, biassed

    I've only logged in 3 times to my steam account from windows, and I've been asked for the survey once. I log in from linux almost everyday to play Prison Architect and now Rogue Legacy, times that it has asked me for the survey, less than in windows.
    Someone has to take a look to those sampling algorithms.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    292

    Default

    After gaming on Linux for weeks, I booted windows, to play LFD2.

    And I got the survey.

    I just reinstalled steam on openSUSE, and got the survey.

    I recently bought portal 2, which still has no Linux version.
    I am now looking at Metro last light. (autumn sale )

    The number of games I like, available on Linux is still very low. I am happy about how things are going, but I am also disappointed about the number of steam users on Linux

    I can think of a few reasons though.

    Left For Dead 2 still does not run very well on my pc on Linux. ( and crashes on windows... )
    Still not many games, available, at least not the ones I like.
    And amd is prob loosing a customer..( vid card)

    There is good news too.
    Serious Sam 3 runs as well on Linux as it does on windows.
    Most Valve games ( TF2 , Portal, Half Life2, half Life do run great.

    I am optimistic about the future, but there is still allot of work to be done.

    On the steam forums, I see some window users looking at Linux, but the number of available games is holding them back to even try.

    AMD phenom II X4, HD5750

    I have not run benchmarks but LFD2 seems to be developing in the wrong direction.
    The freezing / stutter on Linux is ruining my fun.
    Being attacked by a horde and then have your screen freeze, makes it sometimes impossible to survive.
    Walking into "new" area's has this very annoying smooth for two sec, then freeze for one sec, smooth fr 2 sec, and freeze for 11 sec and on and on.

    The old gamers trick, to turn around 360 degrees does not help.

    I think I would have been running back to windows, if this was my first experience with Linux.

    Edit: I have reported the LFD2 issues on the github.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toni View Post
    I've only logged in 3 times to my steam account from windows, and I've been asked for the survey once. I log in from linux almost everyday to play Prison Architect and now Rogue Legacy, times that it has asked me for the survey, less than in windows.
    Someone has to take a look to those sampling algorithms.
    I'm laughing at you. Really I am.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benalib View Post
    there is a lack of games for linux because there is no a large userbase
    there is no a large user base because there is a lack of games
    Your argument proves itself wrong .

    The amount of valve-linux-games has grown significantly, althougt the amount of valve-linux-players has not. This concludes your arguments is false.

    I would say there are more factors to consider

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Fascinating! So Linux isn't at around 24% as some of the delusional rabid Linux fans claim..... It's still exactly at 1%. Just like well, forever.
    ...who ever said 24%? The humble bundles sometimes get that high but Steam itself never did.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmpdir View Post
    Your argument proves itself wrong .

    The amount of valve-linux-games has grown significantly, althougt the amount of valve-linux-players has not. This concludes your arguments is false.

    I would say there are more factors to consider
    WTF? There are VERY few games for linux, the vast majority of the time I'm just playing Steam games from wine.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •