Thread: Marek's Baking Some RadeonSI Changes

Default Marek's Baking Some RadeonSI Changes

Phoronix: Marek's Baking Some RadeonSI Changes

While Marek Olk is most known for his improvements to the R600 Gallium3D driver, the new open-source AMD employee's latest code activity has been on the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0ODY

hes kicking ass so far now lets hope the opensource drivers can replace the catalyst some day

As a RadeonSI user this makes me happy!

It already replaced Catalyst for me many months ago. And I am quite happy with that. I admit that some games could run better but luckily (???) I currently don't really have time for more than a few casual games.

It very much looks like these changes are in preparation of landing transform feedback support, which should be the last stepping stone for OpenGL 3.0 support.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    hes kicking ass so far now lets hope the opensource drivers can replace the catalyst some day
    I feel like that's AMD's plan, that they're looking to phase out development of Catalyst on the linux platform once they can get the foss drivers to an adequate level. Right now Catalyst feels like they're just taking the changes they're making to the Windows drivers and wrapping them in the compatibility changes needed for X -- which makes sense since there are piles and piles of issues that exist in the Catalyst drivers that have been there for years and haven't been fixed (randr anyone?).