Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Composition Bypass Support Lands To Speed Up Mir

Quote Originally Posted by fossy View Post
    are we making figures up now? 50%

Michael says Canonical are using his software for benchmarking. Surely you are not saying his software is giving that amount of variation?!
    i'm not at all saying at all it's his software but i like to see him do the Marks and not them there is no telling what they did to the Xorg Server to get this marks and look at the marks they ran "light weight's"

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    i'm not at all saying at all it's his software but i like to see him do the Marks and not them there is no telling what they did to the Xorg Server to get this marks and look at the marks they ran "light weight's"
    knowing michael's propensity for this stuff ... he is probably benchmarking this right now :P

knowing michael's propensity for this stuff ... he is probably benchmarking this right now :P
    lets see if they really fixed it for are just out for some more PR but anyways this looks bad as it's going to be slower in a battle of Xorg vs Xmir as of now it's Xorg>Xmir (or the Xwayland Hack job that when bad)

Quote Originally Posted by Weegee View Post
    I'm running the unity-system-compositor, so on Xmir. It runs with around 20 fps, which is okay because I'm not playing on my Laptop anyway, I was just testing it.
    what FPS do you get on the Xorg server?

Anyone have any dates when we should expect to have something alpha'ish to benchmark against?
    Around the middle of 2014. That's when Ubuntu 14.10 alphas should be up. Before that there is nothing that can run on Mir, thus XMir needs a full DE, and therefore before that date there is no point on comparing XMir and XWayland (XWayland is always going to be faster).

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Around the middle of 2014. That's when Ubuntu 14.10 alphas should be up. Before that there is nothing that can run on Mir, thus XMir needs a full DE, and therefore before that date there is no point on comparing XMir and XWayland (XWayland is always going to be faster).
    this will be the pre-alpha will it not? (like most Ubuntu Releases)

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    what FPS do you get on the Xorg server?
    Around 30, so it's nearly a 66% performance drop from X.org to Mir. I haven't tested it with the new bypass support though because I got several artifacts with this update, which made the desktop unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Weegee View Post
    Around 30, so it's nearly a 66% performance drop from X.org to Mir. I haven't tested it with the new bypass support though because I got several artifacts with this update, which made the desktop unusable.
    20/30 fps=66% of the frame rate or a 33% drop. I hate to be the math stickler but it is as though basic math skills are thrown out the window whenever Ubuntu is discussed (a lot of it in this thread today). I am sure someone will find a way to blame that on Shuttleworth though this is forum abounding in unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

I am waiting to test Xmir until closer to the 13.10 date of arrival. So I applaud you for wading in early though, I am not usually that brave with really new software.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmaher View Post
    20/30 fps=66% of the frame rate or a 33% drop. I hate to be the math stickler but it is as though basic math skills are thrown out the window whenever Ubuntu is discussed (a lot of it in this thread today). I am sure someone will find a way to blame that on Shuttleworth though this is forum abounding in unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.
    Eeeh, that's actually what I wanted to write. Dunno how I got the 66% in there, I'll edit my post before someone tries to use it as a news article or something like that. Sorry about that.

But yeah, the confirmation bias and conspiracy theories are strong in here ...

EDIT: Seems like you can't edit posts after 30 minutes of their existence anymore. Great, now I look like a total dumbass
    Last edited by Weegee; 08-29-2013 at 02:41 PM.

There are two things I don't get. The first one, Mir for Android? Is it meant to run on Android, or it was talking about running with Android drivers (which are not the same thing)? And the other thing, wasn't the big focus to get the phones version ready first? Shouldn't it be a priority to allow composition bypass there, even before enabling it on desktops?

Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    There are two things I don't get. The first one, Mir for Android? Is it meant to run on Android, or it was talking about running with Android drivers (which are not the same thing)? And the other thing, wasn't the big focus to get the phones version ready first? Shouldn't it be a priority to allow composition bypass there, even before enabling it on desktops?
    ubuntu touch for phones are on android phones... there isnt any ubuntu phone yet, only after 2014.