Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Intel Driver Gains Virtual/Remote Output Support

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,335

    Default Intel Driver Gains Virtual/Remote Output Support

    Phoronix: Intel Driver Gains Virtual/Remote Output Support

    The Intel X.Org driver has gained virtual output support to extend the local desktop with remote outputs. Simply put, this can help NVIDIA Optimus/Bumblebee users on Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ1MDc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Wait.... i thought the intel gpu could already accept video from another local gpu, which was what PRIME was for. How does this differ.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I'm not sure I'm actually getting what this commit is about.
    I've been familiar with Bumblebee, VirtualGL and Primus for quite a while, and now I'm using nvidia-prime, so I understand the difference between what Bubmblebee does and what PRIME does (the zero copy performance advantage...).
    But here I don't get it... What does it do exactly ? Can it be set up as a transport option for Bumblebee (with no other, or just a little, piece of code needed) ? Is there any performance gain compared to Primus ? Does it allow switching off nvidia-card when you're not using it ?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    I'm not sure I'm actually getting what this commit is about.
    I've been familiar with Bumblebee, VirtualGL and Primus for quite a while, and now I'm using nvidia-prime, so I understand the difference between what Bubmblebee does and what PRIME does (the zero copy performance advantage...).
    But here I don't get it... What does it do exactly ? Can it be set up as a transport option for Bumblebee (with no other, or just a little, piece of code needed) ? Is there any performance gain compared to Primus ? Does it allow switching off nvidia-card when you're not using it ?
    None at all. It doesn't claim to do anything new or in a better way. Somebody asked me why their Bumblebee integration code didn't work and showed me the hack they were using. Since as it turned out, I had very similar code in the driver for another purpose, I made that piece of code replace their hack.

    Yes, this is only for those people who choose not to use PRIME. The kernel level integration with PRIME is the right approach from the performance, power and usability standpoint. And the VirtualHeads can be made driver independent by building that functionality into the Xserver (along with the external transport process) and using providers - i.e. accelerated Xvnc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ickle View Post
    None at all. It doesn't claim to do anything new or in a better way. Somebody asked me why their Bumblebee integration code didn't work and showed me the hack they were using. Since as it turned out, I had very similar code in the driver for another purpose, I made that piece of code replace their hack.

    Yes, this is only for those people who choose not to use PRIME. The kernel level integration with PRIME is the right approach from the performance, power and usability standpoint. And the VirtualHeads can be made driver independent by building that functionality into the Xserver (along with the external transport process) and using providers - i.e. accelerated Xvnc.
    So it allows TheBumblebeeProject-like projects to work native with intel driver if one doesn't want to use nvidia's prime or amd's solution? Am I getting that right?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    So it allows TheBumblebeeProject-like projects to work native with intel driver if one doesn't want to use nvidia's prime or amd's solution? Am I getting that right?
    Yes. It incorporates the existing code that people are currently using upstream. I expect that it will be replaced by real integration between the drivers, but since it added very little maintenance burden, and looks to be a useful tool, it looked acceptable to upstream.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •