Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Drops During August

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Drops During August

Valve has updated their Steam Hardware Survey that also provides statistics on used Windows/OSX/Linux versions for this digital game distribution client. It appears that the Steam Linux usage during August dropped and the overall Linux count is below 1%...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Every decent portal should boycott Valve's 'statistics' until they publish proper, transparent statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      Every decent portal should boycott Valve's 'statistics' until they publish proper, transparent statistics.
      While they might need to work on the way they collect their statistics, if they've stayed consistent on how they've been doing it so far, then it doesn't change the fact that usage is dropping.

Comment

How is that possible ?

That does not make sense to me. Or are they just looking at sales ?

Then it could be simple, because there are not many new titles ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
          Uh, what does that even mean? Do you think Valve cares one bit about whether you or Phoronix visit their stats webpage?

Comment

Given that Steam still lacks a significant catalog of software for Linux I don't see how anyone should be surprised that usage has continued to drop, and until the Steambox comes out I really do not expect that to change because quite simply people still have to boot back into windows if they actually want access to their games unless they want to play around with trying to get wine to work.

Comment

Don't forget about the whole "The survey doesn't pop up on Linux" issue for people who have an install on both Windows and Linux.

There are several people who report the survey popping up when they log into steam on Windows several times (not filling it out) but it never once popping up on Linux, even though their "account" was selected.

*disclaimer* Just what I've heard. Don't kill the messenger...

Comment

I still don't see Portal 2 on linux...

Comment

I gotta say I don't have Steam for Linux installed right now. I have Steam installed via WINE to play Skyrim and that's it. My friends don't talk via Steam anymore so it isn't important to me. Honestly, half my list haven't been on in over 200 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Don't forget about the whole "The survey doesn't pop up on Linux" issue for people who have an install on both Windows and Linux.

There are several people who report the survey popping up when they log into steam on Windows several times (not filling it out) but it never once popping up on Linux, even though their "account" was selected.

*disclaimer* Just what I've heard. Don't kill the messenger...
                    FWIW I got the survey on the Linux side yesterday so I doubt there's a bug in there.

The results are pretty pathetic but not surprising. It seems to match the overall desktop trend. It's interesting to see that the unreleased Windows 8.1 has about as much marketshare on Steam as all of Linux combined.

It's probably what we all know... The Unity / GNOME Shell debacle pissed off a lot of people and they went back to Windows... or moved over to OS X.

Comment

Working...
                    X