Thread: System76 Gazelle Pro: A High Performance Linux Laptop

Hybrid View

Default System76 Gazelle Pro: A High Performance Linux Laptop

Phoronix: System76 Gazelle Pro: A High Performance Linux Laptop

Over the past several weeks at Phoronix I have been trying out the System76 Gazelle Professional, which has wound up being a nice high performance Linux laptop preloaded with Ubuntu and powered by Intel's latest-generation Core i7 "Haswell" mobile processor...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ1NTA

Another option are clevo laptops where you can pick most components (or switch them later). You can pick Linux friendly WiFi and/or 3G model plus CPU/HDD/Graphics usually too. I have small Clevo W110ER - ultra small and portable, but when connected to a big display - very good to work on (netbook size with Core i7 )

Quote Originally Posted by riklaunim View Post
    Another option are clevo laptops where you can pick most components (or switch them later). You can pick Linux friendly WiFi and/or 3G model plus CPU/HDD/Graphics usually too. I have small Clevo W110ER - ultra small and portable, but when connected to a big display - very good to work on (netbook size with Core i7 )
    How's battery life? Does Clevo and/or the companies that rebrand their products provide extended batteries? Do they sell batteries for old discontinued notebooks for when the capacity of your current battery drops too much.

I guess the same question for System 76.

Quote Originally Posted by mort12 View Post
    How's battery life? Does Clevo and/or the companies that rebrand their products provide extended batteries? Do they sell batteries for old discontinued notebooks for when the capacity of your current battery drops too much.

I guess the same question for System 76.
    Didn't checked how long it lasts on battery. Hardware parts seems to be available from the maker, from old units on ebay etc. As usual probably. The models don't change very often.

I hope that the positive exposure System76 received from these benchmarks leads them, and other vendors, both small and big alike, to donate or loan more hardware to Phoronix for testing.

Default WiFi Tests

Why no WiFi tests? It seems WiFi is just as problematic as graphics on Linux especially when connecting to 802.11n networks. Random disconnects, extremely slow performance, high packet loss, regressions, power management issues, not connection to access points, etc.

I'm sure there are probably issues with 802.11ac on newer cards as well.

Not bad, just wish System76 laptop had better keyboard and a trackpoint. But I admit I find the Galago Ultrapro to be more interesting then the Gazelle Pro.