Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    If there wasn't any market, then dell would not be selling it.

There is a market. Will desktop linux ever be as big as windows? No, no desktop OS will, but that doesn't mean that there is zero market for desktop linux and that its impossible for desktop linux to have any measure of success.
    I think his comment was made, in the cotext of this;

Originally posted by Wikipedia, Dell article
    On February 5, 2013 Dell announced a leveraged buyout by founder Michael Dell and Silver Lake Partners, with additional funding from Microsoft. The deal is pending shareholder approval as of March 2013."

...meaning he thinks that now that Microsoft has a larger stake in Dell, we may just see Ubuntu becoming less and less of interest to that Company. But as of yet, I am not aware of any actual sign of this happening... <although, i wouldn't be surprised all that much, if something did happen. but who knows>...

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Windows 8 contains spyware and NSA backdoors. It's an user-hostile system.
      What backdoors have been found in Windows 8?

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
        I think his comment was made, in the cotext of this;

...meaning he thinks that now that Microsoft has a larger stake in Dell, we may just see Ubuntu becoming less and less of interest to that Company. But as of yet, I am not aware of any actual sign of this happening... <although, i wouldn't be surprised all that much, if something did happen. but who knows>...
        I went to dell.com selected laptop and ultrabooks clicked on Operating System and i saw no Ubuntu there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
          I went to dell.com selected laptop and ultrabooks clicked on Operating System and i saw no Ubuntu there.
          IIRC all they have left is a developer laptop and that Alienware gaming machine. This is probably Dell throwing a bone to Ubuntu. I doubt they're making any money on these things.

(Because nobody wants them.)

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
            What backdoors have been found in Windows 8?
            Windows Update and the Windows Driver Model. Whoever has the master key for those can inject kernel-level exploit code into any Windows machine in the world.

Given the revelations so far, a non-US government would have to be crazy to continue relying on Windows for confidential operations.

Comment

• Originally posted by thegeek6 View Post
              How so? A CPU is a CPU.

AMD CPU's are power hungry & inefficient compared to Intel CPUs.
              And still Intel is trying to caught AMD jaguar CPUs in efficiency and total power consumption. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                How about typing "Ubuntu" into Dell''s searchbar?

or this; http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd this model / recent offering is aimed at developers though, not so much your average user.... But obviously, Dell owns AlienWare - which offers Ubuntu, as well; http://www.alienware.com/ubuntu/ ...

No idea how popular either is though. But i am doubtful that pre-installed Ubuntu is wildy or even moderately successful...and it is possible that with Microsoft having a larger stake in the Company, maybe the Ubuntu support may dwindle, but again, who knows..

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  IIRC all they have left is a developer laptop and that Alienware gaming machine. This is probably Dell throwing a bone to Ubuntu. I doubt they're making any money on these things.

(Because nobody wants them.)
                  the developer laptop has Ubuntu on top of Windows its for cloud server development

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    How about typing "Ubuntu" into Dell''s searchbar?

or this; http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd this model / recent offering is aimed at developers though, not so much your average user.... But obviously, Dell owns AlienWare - which offers Ubuntu, as well; http://www.alienware.com/ubuntu/ ...

No idea how popular either is though. But i am doubtful that pre-installed Ubuntu is wildy or even moderately successful...and it is possible that with Microsoft having a larger stake in the Company, maybe the Ubuntu support may dwindle, but again, who knows..
                    how many users buy it do to it being cheaper and put XP on it or Mint lol

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                      how many users buy it do to it being cheaper and put XP on it or Mint lol
                      How much cheaper is it?

Comment

Working...
                      X