Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Releases Microcode For All GPUs

Default AMD Releases Microcode For All GPUs

Phoronix: AMD Releases Microcode For All GPUs

In the next step towards open-source 3D support for the R500 and R600 GPUs (Radeon X1000 and Radeon HD 2000/3000), AMD has just pushed its production microcode into the Mesa/DRM git tree. This is the microcode found in the fglrx driver and it covers the Radeon R100 to R600 product families.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12055

I think these efforts are certainly appreciated by the community.

Wow! I'll only buy AMD/ATI in future!

Excellent news.

Is there still some work/activity based upon the new docs in Mesa repository?

Really insane how fast the new releases are getting out for the developers... this is one of a few reasons why I only buy AMD/ATI products, they deserve every kind of support.

Yes, but so far the work is happening in private branches -- the 3D work is still at the early stages so don't think anything has been pushed to master yet. If you monitor #radeon and watch for discussions between simpsonc, airlied, agd5f, glisse and others you'll have the very latest news

My next Notebook will be one based on Puma plattform! I hope the manufactors will build some qualtity notebooks with this.

AMD with their open-source philanthropy
    not a good use of the word 'philanthropy'. I know you mean 'generosity', but philanthropy is more towards humans (help those in need). Unless of course if you mean that the open-source developers are 'dying' to get this information and thus AMD, with their actions, save their lives :-P

This is very good, but I never hear specifically stated for the higher parts - like what about the RV670 (3870)?

TBF I have not scoured through the releases, but a person only looking at the newsies on websites would get the impression of only the lowend parts being "opened up".

Would someone please clarify?
    Last edited by edged; 03-19-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: sp