Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Video: The State of KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma 2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,096

    Default Video: The State of KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma 2

    Phoronix: Video: The State of KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma 2

    For those curious about the state of KDE Frameworks 5 and the Plasma 2 desktop interface, KDE developer Sebastian Kügler has posted a video of the current state of this new KDE code that's expected to stabilize in 2014...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ1OTc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    860

    Default

    KDE4 took a few years and like 6 point releases to get rid of all important bugs, if that's any indication KDE Fr5 should be actually ready by like 2016.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    KDE4 took a few years and like 6 point releases to get rid of all important bugs, if that's any indication KDE Fr5 should be actually ready by like 2016.
    KDE 4 was revolutionary, not evolutionary. They DRASTICALLY changed...Just about everything. KDE 5 is meant to be relatively boring and more of an evolutionary update from the sounds of it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default Another video

    Another video of current KF5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLSXtCkp2P8

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I really like KDE but has anyone seen any good plasmoids around? Even the stock ones seem unfinished. The promise was so much more. Sure, the tech will get updated but plasma will remain not very useful. Keeping my thumbs up anyway, maybe QML2 will allow for easier creation of cool plasma apps/gadgets?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    KDE 4 was revolutionary, not evolutionary. They DRASTICALLY changed...Just about everything. KDE 5 is meant to be relatively boring and more of an evolutionary update from the sounds of it.
    There will be no KDE 5, only Plasma 2.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RushPL View Post
    I really like KDE but has anyone seen any good plasmoids around?
    Homerun, Smooth Tasks2, Battery, Plasma-NM, CWP, Digital Clock, Folder View, Systray, Sticky Notes, and Quick Launch.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    There will be no KDE 5, only Plasma 2.
    There will be KDE Frameworks 5, KDE Applications 5 and KDE Workspaces 2. The KFs are mostly about modularization of kdelibs (cleanups, merges with Qt 5, deprecations etc). KDE Applications will likely be just a port of KDE Applications 4.xx to KF5. The changes in Plasma Workspaces are quite notable with stuff like complete QML2 port and removal of the old graphics system.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    There will be KDE Frameworks 5, KDE Applications 5 and KDE Workspaces 2.
    No, there will be no “KDE Workspaces 2”, only Plasma 2.
    Whether the applications will get a 5.x number, hasn't even been decided, yet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    No, there will be no “KDE Workspaces 2”, only Plasma 2.
    The KDE Release Structure Evolves article clearly mentions KDE Workspaces 2.


    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Whether the applications will get a 5.x number, hasn't even been decided, yet.
    What else could it be? It would make no sense not to move to 5.x because people probably want to be able to install KDE SC 4 and KDE Applications "5" side by side; having 4.13 for Qt 4 and 4.14 for Qt 5 would be pretty damn confusing. I know there's no concrete plans on when it will be released but I haven't heard any one suggest that there's any question what the version number will be.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •