Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Mir Gets Workaround For Visual Glitches, Corruption

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    How come a thread on Wayland comes and goes un-trolled and on topic, but every Ubuntu/Mir/Unity thread gets derailed and trolled within minutes?
    Because people have nothing better to do it seems besides bash something.

    I came here to hear about the discussion of the Mir visual glitch workaround, not some (imo) fail opinions of something totally unrelated.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Microsoft, Apple and Canonical, the new holy trinity.
    Intel could buy RedHat and become a major Linux (services/consulting) player. Given their common interest in Wayland, they could ramp up both - coding and marketing effort to a point where Canonical would be put out of existence....

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
    Intel could buy RedHat and become a major Linux (services/consulting) player. Given their common interest in Wayland, they could ramp up both - coding and marketing effort to a point where Canonical would be put out of existence....
    And why exactly would you want Canonical to be out of existence? I'm not the biggest fan of Windows, but I don't go around wishing utter destruction of Microsoft... I just go use something else

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Espionage724 View Post
    And why exactly would you want Canonical to be out of existence? I'm not the biggest fan of Windows, but I don't go around wishing utter destruction of Microsoft... I just go use something else
    Just speculating in a different manner than BO$$... that's all. I don't wish Canonical anything except a return to the light - Wayland.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
    Intel could buy RedHat and become a major Linux (services/consulting) player. Given their common interest in Wayland, they could ramp up both - coding and marketing effort to a point where Canonical would be put out of existence....
    Microsoft would buy out Intel before they let that happen. Look at how they purchased Nokia once they found out they were working on an Android phone.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Microsoft would buy out Intel before they let that happen. Look at how they purchased Nokia once they found out they were working on an Android phone.
    That would be a tall order, but anything's possible.... first I hear of that Nokia/Android work .

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    I hear you. But there are a few problems with this reasoning.

    1. The goal is to create a FOSS OS. Not just an OS derived from FOSS elements. We already have two very functional OSes. (And yes I use Windows 8 and Server 2012 at home and would take a bullet for them, especially the later.)
    2. There is already "strong leadership" in the FOSS world. Both Red Hat and Attachmate are well based corporations.
    3. The crucial difference is not that we don't have strong leadership, but that only Canonical tries to make a distro with good usability for desktop users. Both RHEL and SLES are abortions, when it comes to polish and user friendliness. If anything, ironically, Debian, the grandpa distro, is light years more user friendly than RHEL. It actually has MP3 support out of the box, an ample repo, and a package management system that works well.
    What features does apt/deb have that yum/rpm is missing?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Microsoft would buy out Intel before they let that happen. Look at how they purchased Nokia once they found out they were working on an Android phone.
    I didn't know msft had 120 billion in cash laying around...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    I didn't know msft had 120 billion in cash laying around...
    Ballmer has more than that in the little safe tucked in the wall of his corner office.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Ballmer has more than that in the little safe tucked in the wall of his corner office.

    Wait...that wouldn't happen to be a man-sized case would it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •