Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Wine 1.7.2 Brings A Couple Of Changes

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    LOL. So to recap; Because you are unwilling to spend (literally) 1 minute, maybe two; installing various MS runtime(s), DLLs, Fonts and components that nearly all windows applications are going to require (via winetricks), In your mind it is Wine that is broken? LOL. ... Is your brain broken?

    I think you have unrealistic / impractical expectations of the project. Wine Can't ship MS DLLs/runtime/etc and the only reason Wine doesn't work for you is because you won't install stuff that apps are going to need... May i ask; What do you do in Windows when you have to manually install something?? (or any other OS for that matter...because in all of them, you bump into situations where XYZ app does not run OOTB or needs something extra...it's not very uncommon.)...

    EDIT: I'd also like to add; Wine works just great over here. I can run any of the programs that i want, no problem..
    Head over to winehq.org and see if all programs work, because there are a lot rated as "garbage". About the DLLs... they shouldn't need to ship MS DLLs if they are trying to emulate them. If they can't, you end up with some kind of cyborg (half emulated - half native), for sure not open source anymore (Richard Stallman would cry if you used a closed source DLL). And that's exactly my point, why use a cyborg when you can use the "real thing" ? According to winehq.org, the project started in 1993, that's 20 years. If they have not managed to achieve a working piece of software in 20 years... well, maybe they should change business. This is obviously my opinion, and I respect yours.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Wine works just fine. I'm able to run fomat factory, virtualdub (using ffdshow for decoding), avisynth scripts, Emule Extreme (this was such an surprise), games like Medal OF Honor Pacific Assault and Cossaks for example. Even atube catcher worked for me.
    Wine can be what it was supossed to be: a complete compatibility layer of windows that can run any windows app in linux. Back in 2008 the project was likely to fail but now they've managed to get something working properly. I kneel to these developers. They deserve our support.

    P.S: Sorry for bad english.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Head over to winehq.org and see if all programs work, because there are a lot rated as "garbage". About the DLLs... they shouldn't need to ship MS DLLs if they are trying to emulate them. If they can't, you end up with some kind of cyborg (half emulated - half native), for sure not open source anymore (Richard Stallman would cry if you used a closed source DLL). And that's exactly my point, why use a cyborg when you can use the "real thing" ? According to winehq.org, the project started in 1993, that's 20 years. If they have not managed to achieve a working piece of software in 20 years... well, maybe they should change business. This is obviously my opinion, and I respect yours.
    Why would somebody care about it being all open source or not if you are going to use it to run windows stuff ?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Head over to winehq.org and see if all programs work, because there are a lot rated as "garbage". About the DLLs... they shouldn't need to ship MS DLLs if they are trying to emulate them. If they can't, you end up with some kind of cyborg (half emulated - half native), for sure not open source anymore (Richard Stallman would cry if you used a closed source DLL). And that's exactly my point, why use a cyborg when you can use the "real thing" ? According to winehq.org, the project started in 1993, that's 20 years. If they have not managed to achieve a working piece of software in 20 years... well, maybe they should change business. This is obviously my opinion, and I respect yours.
    I'm quite aware of WineHQ, thanks. I didn't say that ALL programs run, I said that "i can run all of the programs that I like". Which i can. I run several Plugin Suites / boxsets (VSTs) in Wine very reliably, good performance. Wine is intended to be able to use Windows DLLs / i don't think the idea is to re-write any and every dll in Windows. -> You may have the expectation that anything less than porting every last DLL / component, means that Wine is junk - but that's a pretty unreasonable expectation to begin. It also doesn't change the fact that your problem with Wine not working is your own fault... The problem is your thinking, not Wine.

    Also, it does not make Wine any less oensource - Wine is LGPL to begin with - ie: it's intended to be able to be used with and/or have Non-GPL components linking against it; including proprietary S/W... Again, you claim that it isn't a working peice of software - yet i have tons of applications that run fine && you also must not be aware of the fact that Wine is used in several peices of Commercial H/W (high-end Proaudio gear). ie: i don't think they need to change business; Several successful commercial versions of Wine + winelib has been used to port many applications over the years in Linux && MacOSX. Other S/W also has leveraged Wine code / Codeweavers expertise; ie: paid work for those developers..

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36

    Default

    The problem is that I don't know which combonents to install. An advice is to check wine database. But I don't learn anything from that when copying other users. I have no clue how they have solved the issues they are facing with wine. I have recently checked wine git and I have seen really empty files basically just some definations. No wonder those files don't work.

    Get any game you want. Search it's name on youtube with +wine and you surely find a gamer that has got it working on wine.

    But when I try to do the same I don't get the exact results.

    Now I have tried metro 2033 and I have some weird issues on the starting screen.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    367

    Default

    I don't see the DX9 State Tracker. FAIL!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Head over to winehq.org and see if all programs work, because there are a lot rated as "garbage". About the DLLs... they shouldn't need to ship MS DLLs if they are trying to emulate them. If they can't, you end up with some kind of cyborg (half emulated - half native), for sure not open source anymore (Richard Stallman would cry if you used a closed source DLL). And that's exactly my point, why use a cyborg when you can use the "real thing" ? According to winehq.org, the project started in 1993, that's 20 years. If they have not managed to achieve a working piece of software in 20 years... well, maybe they should change business. This is obviously my opinion, and I respect yours.
    Wine DOES work. Yo cannot be serious saying that every dll should be ported. Like you say it's 20 years and they are "just" developing a compatibility layer (actually wine is not an emulator). Porting the dll's cannot be done. Too much time, too few resources, and it makes no sense. Once they implement every system call that windows offer it will run EVERY app and dll (not counting bugs). Wine tries to make every dll run natively, without ports, and that's what trully matters now. Porting dll's is just a waste of time that leads nowhere, except more problems. And shipping all the dll's with wine is not viable either; it's a waste of HDD space. So anyone that wants to use wine has to install things that are needed.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Waste of hdd space?

    How small is your hdd?

    I would not mind downloading bigger wine if it had more dlls and files if it would help wine to self diagnoze what files are needed.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lequim View Post
    Wine DOES work. Yo cannot be serious saying that every dll should be ported. Like you say it's 20 years and they are "just" developing a compatibility layer (actually wine is not an emulator). Porting the dll's cannot be done. Too much time, too few resources, and it makes no sense. Once they implement every system call that windows offer it will run EVERY app and dll (not counting bugs). Wine tries to make every dll run natively, without ports, and that's what trully matters now. Porting dll's is just a waste of time that leads nowhere, except more problems. And shipping all the dll's with wine is not viable either; it's a waste of HDD space. So anyone that wants to use wine has to install things that are needed.
    Porting DLLs matters when they need to use Linux-side stuff (since winelib apps use both Linux and Win APIs), in these situations, it's crucial to port, but for other higher level code/DLLs it's not essential or even wanted, in some cases. (just to add to what you said)...

    But to correct you on one point; not shipping DLLs in Wine has NOTHING to do with being "a waste of HDD space". It is a legal matter; It is illegal for the (Wine) project to include that stuff. You are subject to Microsoft's licenses / EULA... Hence why winetricks is a script that pulls DLLs / fonts / Runtime(s) from MS' servers (which is not illegal).

    Plus (regarding instlaling DLLs), installing most of what you need is easy (unless it's wine64, which is more manual but simple too). You basically install; all fonts, all codecs, vcrun* stuff (runtimes), gdiplus, etc - and leave the rest until a specific app needs something extra. (literally, check a few boxes and let the script run, depending you may need to run it again in some situations. easy stuff).

    Quote Originally Posted by deri View Post
    I would not mind downloading bigger wine if it had more dlls and files if it would help wine to self diagnoze what files are needed.
    most of the time, you can tell what is missing by starting the app from the commandline - usually an error will appear and it is often easy to identify the missing component based on that + a quick google search, if needed.
    Last edited by ninez; 09-14-2013 at 01:14 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I am using playonlinux because of simplicity to use.

    What I see on playonlinux debug, I don't see easy interpreted messages that give you hint what files to install.

    It should be like that wine reports files that are MOST likely to be missing.

    It goes wrong if I have to search all myself out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •