Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Intel Releases 2.3 RC Driver w/ XvMC

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    260

    Default

    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8347
    Is there any hope in this getting fixed?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    1) The games that you think are "simpler" aren't. They use differing pieces of the OpenGL spec. (ET uses the IdTech 4 engine- that means the stuff's Vertex and Fragment shader happy... It's not going to fare well, period, on your GPU- no Vertex Shader support present that's even remotely viable until Gallium3D shows up for you...)

    2) Tribal Trouble has a batch of odd issues with ATI parts. It wouldn't surprise me that they encounter a problem with the title. Some of their coding, while technically valid, it does read some "may" entries in the OpenGL spec as one way when they should read it as a "Shall" and avoid doing them. It might be that they've encountered that. I'll check with my i945 machine when I get a chance.

    3) Per the Regnum Online site: The following cards are still on a experimental stage. This means that we still didn't have the chance to test them properly. You could possibly play with these cards but there maybe glitches or unexpected crashes in some cases:
    The i945 is ON that list.


    The only one that I would consider to be a "real" problem might be the Tribal Trouble one at this point as it should work right on it, so long as they're not using any shader derived work in the game. If they are, all bets are clean off for your GPU- and it's not due to the drivers either.
    I am not really angry about the ETQW issue, since I don't care really too much about it, it would be too slow if it ran anyways..

    And about Regnum Online: I had an older PC with an Intel IGP in it(the 850 to be exact), and Regnum ran fine on it. So, why shouldn't the more advanced IGP be able to?

    And I also want to know what does that common error message mean :/

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    I am not really angry about the ETQW issue, since I don't care really too much about it, it would be too slow if it ran anyways..

    And about Regnum Online: I had an older PC with an Intel IGP in it(the 850 to be exact), and Regnum ran fine on it. So, why shouldn't the more advanced IGP be able to?

    And I also want to know what does that common error message mean :/
    Lemme restate it... I'd had issues with remembering my GPU numbers... So my statements might have been a bit wrong on a few things... I'm digging right now for the core problem on the error- I think the game devs are cheating on something and they are relying on the driver to fix it for them, looking at the error. I could be wrong there, though... Give me a bit here and I'll post a new comment...

    As for the "more advanced GPU"- part of my error is that I'd missed the GPU choice. It's an X3xxx series GPU- so it's going to go through differing pathways by default. Including using shader based operations; so you may have a bug in a game that's fine for the preceeding part, but not so fine for the more advanced part.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Lemme restate it... I'd had issues with remembering my GPU numbers... So my statements might have been a bit wrong on a few things... I'm digging right now for the core problem on the error- I think the game devs are cheating on something and they are relying on the driver to fix it for them, looking at the error. I could be wrong there, though... Give me a bit here and I'll post a new comment...
    Sure, feel free to do what you want
    After all, I'm not forcing you

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Ok... Googling... (Heh... You'd have found this yourself with this...) I found out that the git repository versions seem to work mostly like they're supposed to with some texture corruption issues. Gentoo people aren't having issues and if you're bold, you can probably solve the issue yourself.

    Heh... I have a suspicion that it's still something that they ought not have done (I've seen far, far more than my fair share of code that does things that it might ought to not do that the drivers end up having to compensate for...) and the fix is to sidestep something that they did that was "wrong" that NVidia cleans up after the developer with (And, YES, they DO have edges in their OpenGL implementation that do that sort of thing...).

    By the way, I've retracted my comments- they were partly in error and you now have what appears to be a fix for your friend.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Ok... Googling... (Heh... You'd have found this yourself with this...) I found out that the git repository versions seem to work mostly like they're supposed to with some texture corruption issues. Gentoo people aren't having issues and if you're bold, you can probably solve the issue yourself.

    Heh... I have a suspicion that it's still something that they ought not have done (I've seen far, far more than my fair share of code that does things that it might ought to not do that the drivers end up having to compensate for...) and the fix is to sidestep something that they did that was "wrong" that NVidia cleans up after the developer with (And, YES, they DO have edges in their OpenGL implementation that do that sort of thing...).

    By the way, I've retracted my comments- they were partly in error and you now have what appears to be a fix for your friend.
    Wierd.. I googled with the error message and found nothing :/
    So the solution is to use GIT? No distros out there like Arch have it packaged?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Heh... Your google-fu is weak, young apprentice.

    Yeah, according to the details I was able to garner, git's where it lies right now. Most of the distros won't USE the git stuff (not officially released) but the Gentoo crowd's a bit on the edge, liking to live a bit more dangerously, so....

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Heh... Your google-fu is weak, young apprentice.

    Yeah, according to the details I was able to garner, git's where it lies right now. Most of the distros won't USE the git stuff (not officially released) but the Gentoo crowd's a bit on the edge, liking to live a bit more dangerously, so....
    Yeah, you're right, My Google-Fu is a bit rusted these days :/

    I guess I will have to try using the GIT after all..

    Thanks a lot!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Sorry for asking, but where did you find this info about Gentoo and Intel 965? Just wondering, since I might install Gentoo on my friend's PC if it really works.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •