Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNF Package Manager Yum-Replacement Moves Ahead

Default DNF Package Manager Yum-Replacement Moves Ahead

Phoronix: DNF Package Manager Yum-Replacement Moves Ahead

Talked about last year prior to the introduction of Fedora 18 was DNF, a new experimental RPM package manager to replace Yum. DNF has been bundled as an experimental option that can live in parallel to Yum, but there hasn't been too much to report on the project as of late, except today they're out with a new release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2MzE

Isn't DNF just Yum 2 ? I'm still not too clear on what's what with Fedora. Keeps changing on me whenever I think I finally got what's going on...

Quote Originally Posted by c117152 View Post
    Isn't DNF just Yum 2 ? I'm still not too clear on what's what with Fedora. Keeps changing on me whenever I think I finally got what's going on...
    In the end it's just a name.
    What is now DNF will eventually replace Yum, whatever they decide to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by c117152 View Post
    IIRC, when dnf gets the ok from qa it will simply replace yum, but retain the yum name (iow, it should be backwards compatible but with much less hacky internals and easier to extend).

Cool DNF

Who else read "Duke Nukem Forever" at first?

Quote Originally Posted by frign View Post
    I do every time I see that acronym.

Quote Originally Posted by frign View Post
    Nope... I see it as the more usual expansion of DNF, being "did not finish".

Not sure if they mean that development will never be complete, or that once complete the expected behaviour is for it to hang infinitely?

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Nope... I see it as the more usual expansion of DNF, being "did not finish".

Not sure if they mean that development will never be complete, or that once complete the expected behaviour is for it to hang infinitely?
    This actually already got answered on the blog post from (i think) last year. They believe its a pretty fitting name given a project that isn't finished yet, especially given that it will be most likely renamed to 'yum' when it IS done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    This actually already got answered on the blog post from (i think) last year. They believe its a pretty fitting name given a project that isn't finished yet, especially given that it will be most likely renamed to 'yum' when it IS done.
    Oh, so "Did Not Finish" is actually the official name? Didn't realise that...

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Oh, so "Did Not Finish" is actually the official name? Didn't realise that...
    Its more of a "Work In Progress" name. Its "official" in that the developers haven't come up with anything better...and don't see a need to since its official name, once its released and the 'default', is already picked out. In this case, its release name will be (by all known accounts thusfar) "yum".