Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD RadeonSI Graphics Driver Still Troublesome On Linux

Hybrid View

Default AMD RadeonSI Graphics Driver Still Troublesome On Linux

Phoronix: AMD RadeonSI Graphics Driver Still Troublesome On Linux

Back in June I ran some RadeonSI Gallium3D benchmarks showing the performance had a ways to improve, but sadly the situation hasn't improved months. There's been progress on the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver and from the kernel side with Radeon DRM improvements and new features, but in testing out the latest code it's still a buggy experience and the performance isn't close to matching the closed-source AMD Catalyst Linux graphics driver for Radeon HD 7000 series hardware. At least though for some Linux games we're now in the range of 50% the OpenGL speed of Catalyst.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19114

Don't worry, probably in five years we will have fully working open source drivers for the HD 7000 series...

Default ???

what the point to use kernel without dpm enable?

As it seems that AMD is focusing more Linux-related efforts to the open source module, what is the implication for the future? If the FOSS module is the future of AMD drivers on Linux, does this mean that acceptable performance on the radeon module will always be 2 or 3 generations behind the latest and greatest?

Micheal is there any way to do a single test (for example Xonotic) when benchmarking an openbenchmarking.org ID (1309171-SO-AMDRADEON66)?
    Did you receive my last e-mail? I wasn't able to submit the results...

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    Micheal is there any way to do a single test (for example Xonotic) when benchmarking an openbenchmarking.org ID (1309171-SO-AMDRADEON66)?
    Did you receive my last e-mail? I wasn't able to submit the results...
    No I didn't get any email. Michael at phoronix.com.

Not without hand editing the XML, though would be a good feature to come up with a good way to add that support, it would be easy but would just be a matter of thinking of a good way to expose/input that request to only benchmark a select portion(s) of the comparison.

Kudos Michael, that was a good set of benchmarks. Relevant variables clearly seperated out and compared, with some demanding tests included (even if most of them failed!) rather than just open source games with ridiculous frame rates.

Thanks!

Default Don't panic

They've got Marek.

Hello, Alex,

I have muxless laptop with intel hd 4000 + radeon 7750M. So physically there is no display connected to discrete graphic card. I have the following results of unigine tropics benchmark (1024x768 with all high settings):
    Code:
    intel hd 4000                   22.7 fps
    radeon 7750M (fglrx)            44.9 fps
    radeon 7750M (radeonsi auto)     9.6 fps
    radeon 7750M (radeonsi high)    24.1 fps
    Software:
    kernel 3.11.1 with dpm enabled
    The rest is from today's git

With auto my radeon GPU is always in low state:
    Code:
    uvd    vclk: 0 dclk: 0
    power level 0    sclk: 30000 mclk: 15000 vddc: 850 vddci: 900 pcie gen: 2
    Only using high performance level helps me. In bug report 69395 you attached a patch. Will it help in my laptop's case?

Also do you know what is the state of dynamic switching of discrete GPU? Dave merged nouveau patches for nvidia and his branch for radeons wasn't touched for three weeks. Is there a chance to have this support in 3.12 kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakot View Post
    Only using high performance level helps me. In bug report 69395 you attached a patch. Will it help in my laptop's case?
    Yes, that patch should help in your case. I just need to sort out how to properly handle that dynamically.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakot View Post
    Also do you know what is the state of dynamic switching of discrete GPU? Dave merged nouveau patches for nvidia and his branch for radeons wasn't touched for three weeks. Is there a chance to have this support in 3.12 kernel?
    The merge window for 3.12 has closed. Hopefully we'll have something for 3.13.