Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new passive cooled hd7850 a quick report

Default My new passive cooled hd7850 a quick report

Hi
    After a long time I bought a new graphic card.
    And because I like silence systems I bought the fastest passiv card with an amd chip.
    This means my system is now full passive cooled from the power suply over the CPU and GPU.
    (my cpu is a fx8350 8core)
    To be honest graphik dosn't make me buy a new card but the Opensource- openCL support
    to mine bitcoins a little makes me buy a new card.

The first start was perfect all run like on my old hd4770 card I'm on 3.12rc1 kernel and newest PPA for xorg.

Thats my pc right now... and I will write about my bitcoin experience on this system later in this thread.

Edit: the card name is: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 SCS3, 1GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (AX7850 1GBD5-S3DH)
    Last edited by necro-lover; 09-18-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by necro-lover View Post
    To be honest graphik dosn't make me buy a new card but the Opensource- openCL support
    to mine bitcoins a little makes me buy a new card.
    Nice rig. But do you expect to make any money from this? I read that GPU mining is not very profitable anymore.

Warning: GPU mining is not very profitable (if at all) anymore, and even if you have free electricity, GPU rigs will likely never pay for themselves at this point!

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_rig

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Nice rig. But do you expect to make any money from this? I read that GPU mining is not very profitable anymore.
    Thank you for your response. And sure I unterstand this no its just a new card and bitcoin is more a hobby. And yes I do have Electricity for free.

My biggest problem right now is that oibaf PPA is broken:

dpkg: error /var/cache/apt/archives/libwayland-server0_1.2.1-1~r~gd_amd64.deb (--unpack):
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libwayland-client0_1.2.1-1~r~gd_amd64.deb
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libwayland-server0_1.2.1-1~r~gd_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

also its sad that there is no working easy to install CGMINER PPA...

but maybe i get the point after i read more about it.

dpkg: error /var/cache/apt/archives/libwayland-server0_1.2.1-1~r~gd_amd64.deb
    Just for the record my libwayland problem is gone.

Trust me, mining is a waste of time if you don't have *at least* a 5000 ASIC.
    I do mine with my HD 7950 but just to test OSS drivers. I get ~ 400 MH/s with latest graphic drivers which is about 5/month *now* (and you have to subtract the pool fee, the electricity cost, the hardware cost...). In January the revenue will be a few cents/month because of the increasing difficulty. You're just too late for GPU mining, I'm sorry.
    You can try Litecoin mining which pays more but at the moment scrypt does not work with OSS drivers, please add your voice if you want it fixed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64201

Also you may be interested in my patch which backports latest DRM code to linux 3.11: http://www.linuxsystems.it/linux-drm...ack-backports/

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    Trust me, mining is a waste of time if you don't have *at least* a 5000 ASIC.
    I do mine with my HD 7950 but just to test OSS drivers. I get ~ 400 MH/s with latest graphic drivers which is about 5/month *now* (and you have to subtract the pool fee, the electricity cost, the hardware cost...). In January the revenue will be a few cents/month because of the increasing difficulty. You're just too late for GPU mining, I'm sorry.
    You can try Litecoin mining which pays more but at the moment scrypt does not work with OSS drivers, please add your voice if you want it fixed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64201

Also you may be interested in my patch which backports latest DRM code to linux 3.11: http://www.linuxsystems.it/linux-drm...ack-backports/
    Thank you for your response.

But why do you believe I only do something for profit? right now i spend 180 for the card and i do nothing with the card... I'm just a nerd who want to learn something about openCL and stuff like bitcoins.

Ah and you know me for many years I'm do have ~7000+++ Posts in this forum I never did anything for profit here in the past...

"*at least* a 5000 ASIC."

Did you know that I have energy for free and i do have a brother who are willing to pay stuff like this ?
    So my problem is not "Fucking" money... my probem is skill and knowelege and so one...

in my memory you are near germany right? maybe you wana meet me and talk about stuff like this?

"linux 3.11"

I already use 3.12... in fact i always use the newest haha

But why do you believe I only do something for profit?
    I don't believe anything, I just wanted to warn you

Ah and you know me for many years I'm do have ~7000+++ Posts in this forum
    Uh? Who are you? Do we know each other?

in my memory you are near germany right? maybe you wana meet me and talk about stuff like this?
    I'm sorry but I'm Italian and quite far from Germany

Uh? Who are you? Do we know each other?
    sure.. we know us...

I'm sorry but I'm Italian and quite far from Germany
    ok bad memory...

Did you know that I have energy for free and i do have a brother who are willing to pay stuff like this ?
    How did you manage it? Is it possible for private persons or are you hooked to some corporation contract that gives you that? Ty

Post some temps i suspect your machine can easily overheat.