Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Chromium Ported To Wayland, Now Working

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    We don't really need more fragmentation. For the good of Linux I hope MIR dies.
    For the good of Linux? The reason Linux is everywhere is because of so-called fragmentation not in spite of it. If it where not for fragmation you or me would be running Linux in the first place.

    Long Live MIR and Wayland and may the best Display server win.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    For the good of Linux? The reason Linux is everywhere is because of so-called fragmentation not in spite of it. If it where not for fragmation you or me would be running Linux in the first place.

    Long Live MIR and Wayland and may the best Display server win.
    Oh, right. Let's see, where Linux is, and what's relevant on those areas.

    Cellphones? Mostly Android. There isn't other currently successful distribution on cellphones/tablets. Fragmented? Nope, only one environment and toolkit.
    Servers? Mostly non graphical, while the most important part of fragmentation comes from toolkits for graphical apps, so the fragmentation (as in different options for frameworks making a lot of apps incompatible or to require loading several libs that does roughly the same thing) is near zero.
    Desktop? Less than 4% market share, at most (so, clearly not "everywhere"), where there is a graphical UI that is highly fragmented between several toolkits. Mostly between GTK and Qt, but there are other options out there.

    Then, one could argue about workstations, but I don't really know what is used there aside from a desktop. AFAIK, most uses Red Hat, which I guess implies GTK/GNOME and trying to avoid fragmentation would mean a better experience in such setting.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Quote:
    Code:
    > Does this means that if Firefox is ported to GTK+ 3, Firefox will run on
    > Wayland?
    
    These two things are unrelated.
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699#c62
    If the toolkit supports Wayland, the application supports Wayland too.

    Or maybe the another part of this question is the rendering engine (in this case, Gecko)...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    Long Live MIR and Wayland and may the best Display server win.
    It isn't even about that. Mir is Ubuntu/Unity-only, Wayland is for everyone else. Problem is that Canonical is not developing Mir in a way that would make it suitable for anyone else to use. Whereas Wayland is designed to run everywhere.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    Oh, right. Let's see, where Linux is, and what's relevant on those areas.

    Cellphones? Mostly Android. There isn't other currently successful distribution on cellphones/tablets. Fragmented? Nope, only one environment and toolkit.
    Servers? Mostly non graphical, while the most important part of fragmentation comes from toolkits for graphical apps, so the fragmentation (as in different options for frameworks making a lot of apps incompatible or to require loading several libs that does roughly the same thing) is near zero.
    Desktop? Less than 4% market share, at most (so, clearly not "everywhere"), where there is a graphical UI that is highly fragmented between several toolkits. Mostly between GTK and Qt, but there are other options out there.

    Then, one could argue about workstations, but I don't really know what is used there aside from a desktop. AFAIK, most uses Red Hat, which I guess implies GTK/GNOME and trying to avoid fragmentation would mean a better experience in such setting.
    Cellphones: Jolla is going to launch their Sailfish phone, with Wayland. If you think Jolla is a small company, another small company called Samsung is going to launch a Tizen phone with their custom interface, and Wayland upgradeability.
    Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 09-23-2013 at 09:10 AM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    I'm fully aware of all of those projects. That's why I explicitly said "currently successful". Those products aren't finished nor distributed yet. Also, how much market share is expected?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    You are aware that one can build a wayland web browser in Qt since a few months, right ? QtWebkit works with Wayland.
    So does WebKitGTK+ and Epiphany (minus few features that still need to be worked out).

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Wayland isn't a display server you morons.... And you will never just switch Mir out with it like you can switch out browser. So the "more choice is always better" arguments is only for people who have no clue what they are talking about.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    238

    Default

    I hope Firefox will be more DE neutral as GTK apps arent realy neutral.
    In my opinion they should replace Xulrunner with a multiplattform toolkit like Qt as it would reduce their code to maintain.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    I hope Firefox will be more DE neutral as GTK apps arent realy neutral.
    In my opinion they should replace Xulrunner with a multiplattform toolkit like Qt as it would reduce their code to maintain.
    I agree with this. Almost all applications I use are GTK apps (Or use GTK as in the case of XUL apps). I don't like GNOME so when Wayland hits, I hope a lot of applications move to Qt. Because I don't think Xfce will switch to Wayland anytime soon, so I'll have to leave it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •